PDA

View Full Version : Revit Laggin/Locking Up - Please Help!!

srva80
2008-04-10, 12:39 PM
We have file around 60 megs using revit structure that is running extremely slow. If we try to move a wall, move a beam, pretty much any basic command it take revit about 5 mins to do so. Our computer specs are Dell Precision PWS390, Intel Dual Core 2 6700 @ 2.66GHz with 3.5 GB of RAM so Im sure its not our PC. Anyone know what could be causing this issue. We have purged the file. We're not sure what else to do.

Thanks in Advance

sbrown
2008-04-10, 01:01 PM
Go to tools>review warnings> see if you can address all the warnings. If that doesn't work send the file to support.

srva80
2008-04-10, 02:12 PM
We looked into that and the errors/warnings we're getting are because some walls and such arent attached to roof slabs because we dont have that info yet. (love the architects) And some axis issues because of how the buildings are rotated. (again.. love the architects) The job we are working on is a combination of 5 building, we have them all drawn in one file beacuse of detailing and plotting issues. They are all very similar buildings. I just dont understand how people out there are creating 200+ meg files with no performance problems and we cant do anything in our 60 meg file. We're at the point now where we may have to break out each building into its own file, just to get the job done, which we really dont want to do.

We sent a file to Autodesk but havent heard anything back yet.

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-10, 02:24 PM
How about your constraints? Have you created too many constraints on your project? When you create too many constraints, locking things to other things, Revit will have to spend some time trying to manage all of them when you move or edit them.

Also, if you have too many DWGs linked, try unloading the one that aren't necessary. If you are working with worksets, close the ones you are not working at the moment.

Andre Carvalho

srva80
2008-04-10, 02:28 PM
We really havent constrained anything we dont lock any dimensions... the arch is using revit too so there aren't any dwgs attached. We also dont leave the arch revit file linked in either..

ingokittel
2008-04-10, 08:51 PM
Did you try a "Save As" of the file and overwite it with the same name? If not try if that helps. the file size might get quite smaller doing so once in awahile.

Ingo

cmoskalski
2008-04-12, 01:16 PM
We have the same issues. We are working on a 5 building campus with each building as a separate project. All buildings are then linked into a "master" project for overall views and such. As of now the 2 smaller buildings are 130 meg each. I can't wait to see what the larger buildings end up being. Anyway the folks doing the details, sheets and general drafting are having a tough time with everything from adding detail components, to revision clouds. They also have had fatal errors on a daily basis. We have tracked this down, we think, to a couple of things so far. One is that we are getting structural and mep Revit files that have corrupted components. We now take the time to open these files to audit and purge. This has helped with the overall stability of the project. Most fatal errors have gone away.

We have ****** cad discipline with some of our people as well. I found several people making duplicates of the same family on their own rather than coordinating with others on the project team. Along with that is the issue of copying detail components from project to project. When this is done copies of copies are made with no one monitoring what is going on. After a couple of exhausted and frustrated conversations this has changed. I mention this because file size is a issue and I'm sure that the "extra" content gives Revit something else to think about.

We have gone into each view and turned off any worksets and content that is not necessary for that view. This has helped a bunch. If remember correctly, content that is not visible but on is still managed in that view.

Links were also a problem. We now unload the adjacent building files and MEP models while doing details or any drafting not needing the links. Just remember to reload at plotting time.

We are going to change how we deal with viewing the adjacent buildings. We will now make groups of the building connector pieces to load rather than the entire model. We hope that a substantial change in speed will be seen.

We are also pushing past the 4 gig limit of XP. The only way we can open and work in these projects effectively is with the 3 gig switch on. We have ordered a 64 bit, 8 gig workstation to experiment with. This is not just for Revit but as XP is going away we need to get our software and drivers ready for Vista. We also use photoshop and a couple of other programs that can use 64 bit. Hopefully the extra ram will speed things up in Revit.

Sorry for rambling on. I would appreciate any input on different or better approaches to these issues as well

Thanks

Scott Womack
2008-04-18, 04:59 PM
If you have any perspectives, isometric views, or camera views placed on sheets or the Cover sheet, this seems to drag Revit to its knees, no matter what platform it is on. If you do, export those views to JPG, and bring those in as images. Revit will run faster.

tamas
2008-04-19, 12:47 AM
srva,

If you contact Revit support and send them your 60MB file, we will be able to diagnose exactly why it is so slow. It will also help us identify areas to improve in the future.

Until then, you may look at the journal file for clues of what may be contributing to the slow operations. I suspect you will see a bunch of automatic join related messages whenever you move a wall or beam.

I have seen cases with somewhat unusual beam profiles where the beam-beam joins kept on silently failing causing everything to run 2-3 times than normal. If you think this is the case, just try to switch your beams (temporarily) to simple rectangular profiles and see if things improve noticably.

Let us know what you found.

Tamas