PDA

View Full Version : PN - Copy and entire project

rhayes.99001
2008-04-11, 01:28 PM
If I have a Project done with PN and I want to be able to copy the entire project and re-name it to use as a base for another project.
How do I do that.??? I tried to do a simple copy from windows and
it will copy and open however I can not work on any xref's after I do that and the drawing file does not show up in the history. It's like it does not exist.???

dzatto
2008-04-11, 02:55 PM
If I have a Project done with PN and I want to be able to copy the entire project and re-name it to use as a base for another project.
How do I do that.??? I tried to do a simple copy from windows and
it will copy and open however I can not work on any xref's after I do that and the drawing file does not show up in the history. It's like it does not exist.???
I just asked the same thing in the PN forum. Here' s the link. http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?p=831411#post831411

Basically, copy the entire project folder in Explorer to wherever you want it. Then go to project browser, right click on the new project and rename it. When it asks to repath Xref's, hit yes. That's it. It's worked for me without any problems so far but I've only done it once. Let me know if you have any problems.

*EDIT* Okay, I found one slight issue. It didn't rename the sheet set. Well, it renamed it in Explorer, but the sheet tab still said the other project name. I just right clicked on it, went to properties, and renamed it there. Now the sheet set heading in the sheet tab is correct. Not sure why it didn't change in the first place, but it's a quick fix.

burchd
2008-04-23, 10:42 PM
I use the New Project icon in the Project Browser. Select the Create from template project: and change the source template to the existing project. That copies all the files to the new location and repaths them for you. This will also sometimes resolve sticky relative path issues.

You have to pay attention to any files which are not PN related that may be used for support. image files, etc. Those files will need to be delt with manually.

Remember that files are not renamed, so that if you are changing the project number from 1311 to 1511, files will still be named 1311 at the end of the day. This is nice for milestones, but not so good if you use this with new projects.....

Hope that helps.....

dzatto
2008-04-24, 08:31 PM
Ahhh, but that's been dealt with in 2009. You now have the option of prefixing your file names with a job number. Change the job number, change the drawing name prefix. :beer:

Ohh Doh!!! I thought there was a way to just start a new project from an existing one. I thought I tried the way you explained it just copied the project structure, not the project itself; but that was right click, copy project structure. Thanks for the tip, it saved me some work! You, sir, get some rep. :beer: \

Okay apprantly I must spread some rep around before giving to you again. But I woulda done it, I swear!

dzatto
2008-05-07, 08:44 PM
Okay, why doesn't it copy over the project details? I mean, I know it's a different project and the city, street, job name, etc will be different. But it's making me recreate the project details from scratch when I copy a project. Is this normal?