PDA

View Full Version : Civil 3D 07- lane widths in plan view

wag24
2008-05-01, 12:58 PM
When I put together my assembly, I gave both subassembly lanes a width of 12'. However in plan view my corridors width is much narrower than 24'. It measures about 2.66' . Can anyone help me out with this. Thanks!

brainman1000
2008-05-01, 02:47 PM
Do you have the width targeted to any alignments? A couple screen shots would help.

Harold Pei Jr
2008-05-01, 05:30 PM
Also, are you sure you're using the right scale?

wag24
2008-05-02, 01:33 PM
I do have my targets set. As far as scaling, would I have to change all scale setting units to feet, corridor, assembly, ect... or is there a general area I can check to make sute its in feet?

Harold Pei Jr
2008-05-03, 12:14 AM
When I put together my assembly, I gave both subassembly lanes a width of 12'. However in plan view my corridors width is much narrower than 24'. It measures about 2.66' . Can anyone help me out with this. Thanks!

I do have my targets set. As far as scaling, would I have to change all scale setting units to feet, corridor, assembly, ect... or is there a general area I can check to make sute its in feet?

You just have to check your viewport. Select the viewport and there should be a tab on the bottom that says what your VP's scale is set to. Note that I mentioned scale, and not units.

wag24
2008-05-05, 03:27 PM
Ok, if I am only working in model space can I still do this? I tried right clicking the model tab and went to the page setup manager --> modify ---> then set my scale 1" = 1', which didn't reflet any change in my corridor. Is this what you meant for me to try?

Harold Pei Jr
2008-05-06, 12:37 AM
Okay, the page setup manager is just for plotting. So no, it wouldn't show you any change unless you're plotting. When you mentioned plan view, I had thought you were using the layout tabs and viewports. My mistake.
In your Tool Space palette, go to the settings tab, right-click on the drawing's name and select Edit Drawing Settings. In there, it has the units set up for the drawing. Take note of this. Type in UNITS in the command line, is the units the same as in the drawing settings?
Also, how are you taking the measurements? Are you using dimensions? What are the units on your dimensions if you are using it for measuring your lane widths?

wag24
2008-05-06, 01:11 PM
Ok, under the settings tab drawing units are in feet. When typing units in the command line the type is engineering and insertion scale is feet. However using the distance tool, measuring across 1 lane gives a length of 1.34". Somethings definitly off I just can't figure out what.

Harold Pei Jr
2008-05-06, 07:46 PM
Just curious. Is this measuring the sub-assembly, or the corridor built with the sub-assembly (your road plan)?

wag24
2008-05-07, 12:52 PM
I measured the actual corridor roadway width from the plan view, not the subassembly. If you look closely on my attached print screen image, the red polylines represent the curbing (what the corridor width should reflect).

wag24
2008-05-07, 09:01 PM
Here's another example! Both lanes set to 12' at + - 2% slope. Maybe its not a scale setting? Even where the lane width seems to be correct that lane width is only 8' not the 24' that I specified with the subassemblies. Then it gets narrower and wider. Why is the lane width varying like that?

Harold Pei Jr
2008-05-07, 09:59 PM
I couldn't tell what was happening with your previous picture, and the way you worded the problem, seemed like you were measuring it in either paperspace (or after plotting). The second picture shows more of what you need.
Could you send a pic of your assembly as well?

wag24
2008-05-09, 01:19 PM
Sure! Here is it, I kept this one as simple as possible. This assembly goes with my previous corridor jpeg. I'm thinking the problem is that something in the slope layout is overriding the 12' land widths that I applied. So maybe the system is ensuring the grades are correct as the cost of the roadway width. However I did not change anything in the generic slope layout mode properties when I attached them to the roadway assembly. Thanks for your help.