PDA

View Full Version : PN Folders

finney13
2008-05-13, 05:25 PM
For those of you whom have been using PN, do you find it better to let it use the folders the PN creates itself, or does it work just as well if you already have an established project folder structure and modify to work with what you already have?

dzatto
2008-05-13, 06:05 PM
For those of you whom have been using PN, do you find it better to let it use the folders the PN creates itself, or does it work just as well if you already have an established project folder structure and modify to work with what you already have?
Either way. It depends on the project I'm doing. I usually add folders for constructs and views, not so much for sheets. They are already set up pretty nice. For constructs, I'll add a folder for basement, first floor, second floor, etc. That way each construct for each floor is in the correct folder. I'll also add a folder for floors, roofs, structural. It just easier for me that way. Same thing with the views.

pipedream345
2008-05-13, 06:06 PM
My opinion is that it really depends on what you do. I design the piping for many different types of buildings from resturants to apartment buildings. I prefer to create the structure of the folder as I go. It seams that the sample templates have way too many subsets and catagories for waht i do. Now if you work for a mutiple dicipline design firm, maybe you need that much.

ACAD MEP 2007-2009

finney13
2008-05-13, 07:27 PM
Well, we do M, P, & E at my firm.

Our typical project structure will have a Drawings folder with Mechanical, Plumbing, Electrical subfolders, along with an Xrefs subfolder.

We set up the project where the Archie's backgrounds are in our Xrefs folder, along with titleblocks, RCPs, etc...

My M2.01.dwg file will, of course, be in the Mechanical folder. It will have the titleblock referenced into a layout, with everything else referenced into model space.

I will do all my drawing for that plan in that drawing. Ductwork, labels, tags, notes, etc.., as will other disciplines on their respective drawings (E2.01, P2.01...)

In the PN, I am trying to determine where I would place my xrefs (Arch backgroungs) for reference. Would they be constructs? If so, wouldn't my drawing in which I model my ductwork be a construct as well?

Anyone with multiple disciplines have a good system?

finney13
2008-05-13, 07:52 PM
As I think about, I guess I could just have a folder inside Constructs called "Xrefs" and make them into constructs there.

dzatto
2008-05-14, 01:37 PM
Yep, that's what I was going to say. You could even take it a step further and have an Xref's folder, then sub folders inside of that if you want. Be careful, you can go overboard and have too many folders!!

I do full sets here. Architecture, structural, MEP, site design, details, sections. You name it, I do it. For my MEP, I have an MEP folder, then inside of it I have Mech, Elec, Plumbing. Then I have my constructs and views. Seems to work well.

finney13
2008-05-19, 11:05 AM
Very good. Thanks for the info.