PDA

View Full Version : Tracking Details, Views and Sections

robert.pickeral
2008-06-18, 09:28 PM
I work for an In-Flight Entertainment company. We install entertainment systems in commercial aircraft. We produce structural, electrical and assembly dwgs. I'm the CAD Lead. We use mostly AutoCAD, but have modeling apps like Pro-E and Inventor.

I'm proposing to require a log displaying letters for views, sections and details for strucural drawings - any drawing having these entities - to better track the letters used, and their locations. The attached scan is an example. Whether it's hand-written, CAD, Ms Excel is up for discussion. I'm open for any ideas. But I believe it's required. When any drafter modifies this dwg (to add a view for example), they simply reference this document and select the next letter.

I have another user stating this is an engineering issue, not drafting. He also states this document will need to be controlled and have a proper form number and be controlled and maintained by our Doc Control Dept. I suggest that this is supporting documentation that is not required for Release. I state that it's is not req'd for Release, but used only to support the effort. Your thoughts?

1) How do you track these entities in a dwg?
2 Does a tracking sheet like this need to be an official form and Released with the dwg?

k.baxter
2008-06-18, 10:08 PM
I have a question of curiosity; if a view, section or detail is deleted or not used do you recycle the letter?

But to answer your questions.
1. We don't so this is a non issue for us.
2. See above.