PDA

View Full Version : NWC to DWG??

cboss
2008-06-23, 12:40 PM
Mysteriously, and I have no idea how or why this happened, two of my MPE drawings that I had loaded into my NWF have changed back into DWGs??? If I delete and reappend the DWG I get a DWG back; I have not been able to bring the NWCs back for these drawings since it happend....ANY thoughts?

david.kingham
2008-06-23, 08:55 PM
Did you delete the dwg in folder that contains the nwc? It seems if they are both in the same folder it will choose the dwg first even if you appended with the nwc

cboss
2008-06-27, 05:48 PM
I did not delete the dwg after I appended it; should I? This will be the first that I've heard that that is what I should do.

I'm also unable to "normally" have my dwg files updated. I was told that I should be able to just replace the dwg that's there and the nwc will automatically update. This does not happen. Not sure if the two are related.

Why would it choose the dwg if the nwc is a "Navis-type" file??

david.kingham
2008-06-27, 08:35 PM
I ran into this again today, had an nwc and dwg that were named the same and in the same folder, linked in the nwc. After reloading it didn't reflect my changes, eventually I figured out that it opens the dwg first, creates a new nwc and overwrites the old (actually newer) one.
Moral of the story....don't keep your dwgs in the same folder if you're using nwc's.

dgorsman
2008-06-27, 11:42 PM
I ran into this again today, had an nwc and dwg that were named the same and in the same folder, linked in the nwc. After reloading it didn't reflect my changes, eventually I figured out that it opens the dwg first, creates a new nwc and overwrites the old (actually newer) one.
Moral of the story....don't keep your dwgs in the same folder if you're using nwc's.

Hold on a minute - has the process been changed from earlier versions? Before, if a DWG file was opened in NavisWorks, it would first check to see if the matching NWC in the same folder was present and/or newer and if so, load the NWC instead of the DWG. If the DWG was newer or the NWC was not present, a new NWC file is compiled with the same name as the DWG. By appending DWGs into the NWF file, they would always be current and load quickly from the NWCs where no updates had been made.

david.kingham
2008-09-30, 05:01 PM
I have to bring this back to life because I'm getting some extremely annoying behavior now.

I'm creating a nwc from ACADMEP, I open the nwc in NW and guess what shows up in the selection tree....the nwc you say? No. The original dwg. They are not in the same folder but it still looks back to the dwg file. I tested this by renaming the dwg and then opening the nwc, then it works as expected. I've tried changing every setting I think would have an effect....what in the sam hill is goin on?

RobertB
2008-09-30, 06:01 PM
I'd say it's an attempt to make the .nwc transparent to the users. IOW, the users need never know that .nwc files are used to cache the .dwg file.

dgorsman
2008-09-30, 06:24 PM
I checked on something similar with v5.5 this morning, and saw the same thing - even with an NWC file open the DWG file is still listed. Its actually a good thing for me - it allows the saved selections to be retained without rewriting them and it means I can tell what models the parts came from (the NWC was from a discipline reference model).

david.kingham
2008-09-30, 06:41 PM
Well you see the problem is I do not want to use dwg's, I just want the nwc. I don't want to bother with object enablers on every machine we have NW on and the output is always better when exported....just a personal preference and it's worked fine up until recently.