PDA

View Full Version : C3D 2009 Crashes when comparing the volume of two surfaces

david.metcalf
2008-06-23, 08:54 PM
Hello all,

We have a user running into this issue with crashing, this happened while creating 2 different surfaces, then went to compare the volumes of the 2 surfaces when crash happened.

“Error: Fatal error. Unhandled access violation reading 0x000c exemption at 34E18D4H.”

Has anyone run into this? I am checking into video card/driver issues.

Operating System: Windows: Windows XP Professional

sinc
2008-06-23, 10:20 PM
Can't help you there.

We're busy fighting a similar problem. If we try to use Surface Utilities -> Volumes..., C3D 2009 crashes. We can create a volume comparison surface using the two surfaces, and get the volumes that way, but if we do, C3D 2009 crashes when we try to save the drawing. (And it crashes in particularly ugly fashion, with a dialog box that is practically empty, although it is obvious there should be more text displayed...)

We have not been able to identify or fix the issue.

david.metcalf
2008-06-23, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the heads up Sinc. I guess we will have to wait for a fix to be issued for this one.

Edit:

Perhaps this is video related? Has anyone tried tweaking video settings or drivers?

Coolmo
2008-06-24, 06:32 PM
Are you creating a grid volume surface for the comparison? try putting in a larger grid distance and see what happens. We've had similar problems in C3D 2007 and this sometimes worked. Oddly enough, we also crashed when the DVIEW twist was rotated to something other than 0. This was in the labeling of the earthworks surface though (Spot elevations on grid...cut/fill ticks). It wigged out because it's asking for the lower left and upper right corners and if it's rotated you're ultimately picking your corners out of sequence and it does not not like it. CRASH!!

sbrittain
2008-10-11, 11:50 PM
I had very similar fatal error issues when comparing surfaces for volumes. I tried the following with success:

a) review surface properties / definitions - remove any 'Transformation' entries and try moving any boundary definitions to top of the order.

I am not sure when the (if any) transformation entry is generated, but appears on some of my surfaces - generally when copying surfaces.

Hope this works for you.

sinc
2008-10-12, 01:05 PM
Note that the first Service Pack to Civil 3D 2009 (aka "Civil 3D 2009 Update 1" aka "Civil 3D 2009 Version 2") fixes some bugs that could trigger a crash during volume calculations.

jpaulsen
2008-10-13, 03:00 PM
Sinc,

Did SP1 fix the problem?
I wasn't clear if SP1 fixed it or if introduced a new bug.

I did some tests with a couple of very simple surfaces and they seem to work fine with SP1 installed. I created a TIN Volume surface and saved the drawing and I used the Volumes under Surface > Utilities.

sinc
2008-10-13, 03:29 PM
SP1 fixes a couple of problems with volume creation, but I don't know if it fixes all of them. I haven't had any problems with volume calculations since installing the service pack.

iwassum
2009-01-23, 05:13 PM
I have had this problem quite a few times, the only fix/work around i found is after each surface creation save, i also found that creating a volume surface crashed less than just running a volume under surface utilities.