PDA

View Full Version : line width of internal walls

moonlight_9630
2008-07-08, 09:54 PM
Hi all ,
im creating ctb for our office and i am wondering abt the line width of internal walls for different drawing scales 1/50 1/100 1/200 , i checked many cad standards on the web and most of them assign (0.4 mm) to internal wall but i cant figure out which scale it belongs to , they mention things like full scale or A1 scale and it is confusing , like i can use many different drawing scales (1/50 1/100 1/200 .....etc) on A1 ,
hope someone can help me in this

mmccarter
2008-07-09, 03:00 PM
As you are refereing to paper size as A1 I am assuming you are not from the US and from the way you phrase the question not bound by any National CAD Standards.
I recently updated our standards and decided to go with 0.5mm for all scales. This size worked nicely for the test scales I plotted at of 1:50, 1:100 and 1:200. By keeping the same figure I am not imposing yet more things for our surveyors to ahve to remember at different scales.
This works for us but may or may not work for you.

On a side note, some of the longer serving employees here previously used the DRUID CAD system where you could apply a width to a line on a certain side. This means that the outermost extents of the widened line is what could be measured to on plots. I frequently get asked if this is possible in AutoCAD to which my response is that it is not possible without offsetting lines onto "width" layers or something similar just for plotting. This would get too confusing and so is not really plausable.

It would be a nice feature in AutoCAD if a width or lineweight could be applied to a line as an offset in a selectable direction.

Harold Pei Jr
2008-07-09, 05:42 PM
As you are refereing to paper size as A1 I am assuming you are not from the US and from the way you phrase the question not bound by any National CAD Standards.
I recently updated our standards and decided to go with 0.5mm for all scales. This size worked nicely for the test scales I plotted at of 1:50, 1:100 and 1:200. By keeping the same figure I am not imposing yet more things for our surveyors to ahve to remember at different scales.

On a side note, some of the longer serving employees here previously used the DRUID CAD system where you could apply a width to a line on a certain side. This means that the outermost extents of the widened line is what could be measured to on plots. I frequently get asked if this is possible in AutoCAD to which my response is that it is not possible without offsetting lines onto "width" layers or something similar just for plotting. This would get too confusing and so is not really plausable.

It would be a nice feature in AutoCAD if a width or lineweight could be applied to a line as an offset in a selectable direction.

Set a layer to plot lineweight by object, then have the object look like how it'll plot.

moonlight_9630
2008-07-09, 06:25 PM

thanks a lot for your reply , in fact im not bound yet to any cad standard but wish to follow one , i wonder if AIA standard includes pen assignments
in fact line width of 0.5 for internal walls look fine for wall thickness of 15 cm and 20 cm but for 10 cm thickness with 1/100, 1/200 scales , the wall edges look so close and seem to b like one thick line , by the way i like ur idea of applying width on certain side , it would b nice if there was such option .

moonlight_9630
2008-07-09, 06:49 PM
Set a layer to plot lineweight by object, then have the object look like how it'll plot.

in fact im confused abt how internal wall will plot , like if im to plot a drawing of metric scale 1/100 (1/8") , what will b the proper value of lineweight to assign for internal walls , is it ok to use that value for other scales like 1/50 (1/4") , 1/200 (1/16")

jaberwok
2008-07-09, 07:05 PM
Draughting standards generally specify line weights according to function and with no reference to the plotting scale - a line that represents a boundary and is plotted at 0.5mm thick is always plotted at 0.5mm.
Unless you're talking about reduced scale plots - like plotting a nominal A1 sheet on an A3 printer?

moonlight_9630
2008-07-14, 12:28 AM
Draughting standards generally specify line weights according to function and with no reference to the plotting scale - a line that represents a boundary and is plotted at 0.5mm thick is always plotted at 0.5mm.
Unless you're talking about reduced scale plots - like plotting a nominal A1 sheet on an A3 printer?

thanks for your response , suppose you are plotting an A1 sheet containing a plan of scale 1/50 on A3 printer , then the scale of the plan will be 1/100 which require using reduced ctb , thats clear , now , if i have a building of large area that wont fit in A1 except i use a scale of 1/100 , then i have to use the reduced ctb even if i plot on A1 plotter, right ?
it is really confusing !

jaberwok
2008-07-14, 11:39 AM
thanks for your response , suppose you are plotting an A1 sheet containing a plan of scale 1/50 on A3 printer , then the scale of the plan will be 1/100 which require using reduced ctb , thats clear , now , if i have a building of large area that wont fit in A1 except i use a scale of 1/100 , then i have to use the reduced ctb even if i plot on A1 plotter, right ?
it is really confusing !

In theory - no.
The same line is plotted at the same weight regardless of the scale of the thing that the line represents.
Mind you, these standards were created in the days of board draughting so are not always ideal with cad.

moonlight_9630
2008-07-14, 02:37 PM
In theory - no.
The same line is plotted at the same weight regardless of the scale of the thing that the line represents.
Mind you, these standards were created in the days of board draughting so are not always ideal with cad.

i checked the NCS and found that most visible object lines are usually drawn at 0.35 mm , there is no specific value for wall lines width , i'm thinking of assigning 0.35 mm to internal walls and 0.5 for external ones , they look fine that way with all scales
hope i'm doing the right thing