PDA

View Full Version : Pasting taking to long

cstephensen
2008-07-22, 08:29 PM
Well I have recently started having a problem when I paste (Ctl+V) an item it to a drawing it takes a few minutes to come in. Has anyone had a similar problem? Is there any way to fix it?

Cad Guru
2008-07-24, 12:08 PM
Could you elaborate a little? Did this just start to happen, meaning you were able to do it before? What is the item? Are we pasting in 20 entities or 20,000? Does it contain nested blocks, or True Type font text? Or is it just lines and circles entities? I usually find True Type fonts will slow things down considerably. Pasting large quantities of objects can slow it down too.

cstephensen
2008-07-24, 07:13 PM
The dwg is about 3mb. It has only started happening in the last 2 or 3 months. There are nested items in the dwging but I'm unable to get rid of them. As for the items that i'm copying and pasting, they aren't that big. I can copy, paste a BOM from inside the same dwg and it hangs for a few minutes. This also happens when I copy, paste anything from in this dwg. But I can copy, paste from some of our old Dwgs and no effect. Any ideas would be more than welcomed.

Cad Guru
2008-07-25, 11:43 AM
The drawing size is pretty large. Have you tried to Purge the drawing, then perform an Audit. Both commands should be under File>Drawing Utilities. I've had Audit find and fix 7000+ errors on a rather small and simple drawing (file <500kb). You may be pasting problems from one drawing right into another. Or may have pasted a problem into the drawing you're talking about. Purging and auditing each drawing is a good habit to get into. Keeps file sizes down and it doesn't take long. A few seconds to do both. Certainly couldn't hurt to try.

cstephensen
2008-07-28, 06:00 AM
Thanks cad guru. But these where about the first 2 things I thought of but still didn't help. Man this is really starting to get to me. My manaegr thinks it could be the computer letting us down so he has ordered me a new system with a Quad core 2.66 and 4gig of ram. My current system is about 4 years old and runs a single 3.4 with 1.5 gig of ram. I hope this helps to fix the problem! If not I'm getting a new system for nothing LOL

clovis
2008-08-25, 03:48 PM
You could use the longer path by making a wblock of what you want to paste.

cstephensen
2008-08-25, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the responses. In the end I finally talked the boss it to putting 2009 on my machine and now the problem is gone. It had something to do with having to may annotated scales in the dwg. 2009 reconized this and fixed it.