PDA

View Full Version : fields (association path)

bbapties
2004-09-21, 09:39 PM
My company has just started switching us to 2005 and I would like to know if this is possible before i start digging really deep into it...

We have templates set up for our jobs, but they are not actually a "file.dwt" They are just dwg files that have details and certain things with attributes that we change from xxx to what ever we need for that job...And this seems perfect for fields!!

Will I be able to set up an excel sheet with all these fields that are job specific and be able to just have all the different dwg. accessing that excel file.... Im 99% sure i can but me real question is,....

If i have "T-1.dwg" and "infosheet.xls" set up with the fields linked to one another inside say a folder called c:templates to where the fields are just xxxxx. Can I just copy those two files and paste them into c:jobs\5286 and have them keep thier association to one another... Or will i have to reassociatte the fields because of changing the file locations?

Simply put... Is the field information linked by saved path or does it look in the current directory.....

Thanks for clarifying.

RobertB
2004-09-22, 12:07 AM
Fields don't look in external files like that. However, they could look at the drawing's custom properties, for much the same effect.

bbapties
2004-09-22, 12:23 PM
instead of an excel file what if i set up a dwg with different attributes or text strings that i could link the fields to...

RobertB
2004-09-22, 02:51 PM
No external file support for fields. Sorry. However, SSM does permit you assign custom properties on a per project/per sheet basis from a central management point.

bbapties
2004-11-18, 04:17 PM
Sorry, But I wanted to revisit this... Every time I see any kind of tip on fields I wonder why this isn't possible....

I want to have a text string in "a.dwg" ( for describing purposes I will label the text string as "job name" ) and link it to different text strings throughout "b.dwg"

The example I'm referring to is as follows... I reference the job name in a alot of sheets (dwg...we don't use layouts, we use separate dwg for each sheet). I want to be able to set up the sheets where the "jobname" is updated thru all sheets if changed in "a.dwg".

can you create a field with just referencing another string of text?

I just cant grasp y this isn't possible, it seems easier than some of the preset fields to program....as far as autodesk is concerned??

RobertB
2004-11-23, 06:28 PM
It is possible... in conjunction with Sheet Sets.

bbapties
2004-11-30, 05:36 PM
so it has to be linked through the project manager via sheet sets... there is no way to force it to refence an outside acad dwg?

Tom Beauford
2004-12-21, 08:22 PM
so it has to be linked through the project manager via sheet sets... there is no way to force it to refence an outside acad dwg?The Sheet Set Manager should do what you want. The "Sheets" it manages are Paperspace layouts from different drawings. So referencing different drawings is basicly what it does. What exactly do you want to do?