PDA

View Full Version : Nested Drafting Views

Jshaver
2008-08-12, 06:56 PM
Quite often within a drafting view (2d detail) we need to scale up a small portion to improve the level of detail. Currently Revit does not offer an easy means to do this if you are utilizing symbols and detail components. This forces the user to create duplicate types at the appropriate scale along with manually scaling the linework.
A useful tool would be the ability to create a callout within a detail and adjust that scale independantly of the host. Similar to the way plan regions override the view range within a plan.

sfaust
2008-08-12, 07:45 PM
You can create a callout, then place them in the same region on the sheet, and turn off the view title for the callout view. Not perfect, but pretty easy and gives the same effect without having duplicate (and improperly scaled) families...

Jshaver
2008-08-15, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the recommendation. I think this is an acceptable workaround for the time being but we have a need for the blown up portion to exist within the typical detail as these are library files that will be inserted into a lot of projects.

Another downside to a callout created within the drafting view is that it will be blank...It is not really a live callout of the detail. If a change is made to the host view the callout detail will have to be manually updated too...not very efficient. One could use groups to control this to a certain extent but that opens another can of worms regarding typical details importing.

I would like a tool that is basically a window into a drafting view that can in tern be placed (with a different scale) into another drafting view.

sfaust
2008-08-15, 08:18 PM
agreed, I think that would be a usefull tool as well, but I was just giving the best option I have found for now...