PDA

View Full Version : Structural Column Grids

medwards.119413
2008-08-28, 06:47 PM
Description: Need more flexibility available in column grids.

How Used: Auto label works great for box shaped buildings, however...

Feature Affinity: ...there needs to be more flexibility available in modifying grid lines, such as
--being able to modify a grid line so that it only goes part way across a building
--display versatility to change linetype of just some of the gridlines (sometimes they are center lines, sometimes they are not)
--when creating custom grids from linework, the labeling needs to be just as fluid as a box grid
--and I tell users to forget about attempting angular grids for odd shaped buildings. This feature has never been adequately addressed and is more trouble than its worth. Needs work!

dzatto
2008-09-17, 02:09 PM
Description: Need more flexibility available in column grids.

How Used: Auto label works great for box shaped buildings, however...

Feature Affinity: ...there needs to be more flexibility available in modifying grid lines, such as
--being able to modify a grid line so that it only goes part way across a building
--display versatility to change linetype of just some of the gridlines (sometimes they are center lines, sometimes they are not)
--when creating custom grids from linework, the labeling needs to be just as fluid as a box grid
--and I tell users to forget about attempting angular grids for odd shaped buildings. This feature has never been adequately addressed and is more trouble than its worth. Needs work!
I agree.

I may be misunderstanding you, but you can already have a grid line that goes part way across the building. Draw a line where you need the gridline to be, thenI right clickt on the grid, select "add grid lines", then select the linework.

dhallett
2008-10-08, 10:20 PM
I would add a few other grid wishes:

The grid number should be an attribute of the grid line itself, not just of the column bubble block. The bubble could then be attached anywhere along the length of the grid line and read the correct number. This would help when doing partial plans via xref. You could also then automatically label the grid nodes.

Structural members should be able to attach to the grid through xrefs. I like to have one grid file as an element in PN that’s attached to each floor level, but then you can’t attach columns to the grid.

I don’t know how this would work, but it would be nice to be able to offset a grid line temporarily to use as a reference line. Right now you have to draw a line over the top of the grid and then offset it.

We currently have a project with a radial grid. Set up was pretty easy, but then we couldn’t dimension it with either angular or radial dimensions.

Then there’s the ever popular 3D grid that shows up on building elevations as well as plans.