PDA

View Full Version : DWF unsupported by AutoCAD 2009

Joef
2008-09-19, 06:48 PM
I rarely use DWFs. Once in a while I decide to give it a try and I usually regret it. Today I needed to underlay a PDF file in an AutoCAD file. I usually save the PDF as a JPG because Autodesk is unable to import a PDF file. (Why?)
So I decided I'd try to print the PDF as a DWF and import that. AutoCAD told me that I was trying to import an unsupported version of DWF when I tried to use it as an underlay. Maybe in a few years I will try to use DWF again. Maybe.

RobertB
2008-09-19, 08:05 PM
What "printer" did you use to generate the DWF? Use DWF6 ePlot or greater.

I use DWF files all the time and prefer them to PDFs for many reasons.

rkmcswain
2008-09-19, 08:32 PM
I usually save the PDF as a JPG because Autodesk is unable to import a PDF file. (Why?) Because Autodesk can't or won't add this ability. JPG is a poor choice though. There are many ways to import a PDF into AutoCAD (http://rkmcswain.blogspot.com/2006/03/convert-pdf-to-dwg.html).

So I decided I'd try to print the PDF as a DWF and import that. AutoCAD told me that I was trying to import an unsupported version of DWF when I tried to use it as an underlay. Maybe in a few years I will try to use DWF again. Maybe.

What DWF print driver did you use? The one supplied by Autodesk?

Joef
2008-09-20, 12:02 AM
The DWF printer is one supplied by Autodesk. I find it surprising that it is not compatible with AUtoCAD 2009.

RobertB
2008-09-20, 12:17 AM
The DWF printer is one supplied by Autodesk. I find it surprising that it is not compatible with AUtoCAD 2009.<sigh> What version of the "printer"? What is the printer name?

rkmcswain
2008-09-20, 12:55 AM
The DWF printer is one supplied by Autodesk.

This one (http://www.autodesk.com/dwfwriter)?

Joef
2008-09-26, 12:43 AM
I'm not sure of the printers name or version. I have installed the latest version of AutoCAD and Revit and Design Review. I assume this will keep me up to date with DWF. If not, I also have the Communication center to keep me informed of any updates. I shouldn't have to hunt for it, and it should be backward compatible.

RobertB
2008-09-26, 01:07 AM
I'm not sure of the printers name or version. I have installed the latest version of AutoCAD and Revit and Design Review. I assume this will keep me up to date with DWF. If not, I also have the Communication center to keep me informed of any updates. I shouldn't have to hunt for it, and it should be backward compatible.So, using one of those 3 applications you mentioned, how did you produce the DWF of the PDF?

Joef
2008-09-26, 01:44 PM
So, using one of those 3 applications you mentioned, how did you produce the DWF of the PDF?

I opened the PDF file in Acrobat and selected the DWF printer that was listed along with the rest of the printers. I asume this printer installation occurred as a result of the installation of one of the three programs listed.

RobertB
2008-09-26, 04:36 PM
I opened the PDF file in Acrobat and selected the DWF printer that was listed along with the rest of the printers. I asume this printer installation occurred as a result of the installation of one of the three programs listed.You assumed incorrectly. At least for default installs. You must be talking about DWF Writer which is a separate utility and hasn't been updated for a few years.

rkmcswain
2008-09-26, 07:40 PM
DWF Writer which is a separate utility...
JoeF - Version 4.0 of which, (linked above) writes files that AutoCAD 2009 handles just fine...

It's kind of strange that AutoCAD won't import your DWF though, even if created using an older version of DWF writer. I have some DWFs from 2005 that import just fine into 2009...

jcotey
2008-11-12, 04:08 AM
If you sincronize your publish command to utilize the dwf6 ePlot provided by Autodesk (in it's infinite wisdom), the multi-sheet and single-sheet plot to dwf should work. My company uses this for every drawing we push to SharePoint, the vendor, design review process, etc. and it works GREAT!
Might I suggest that you make sure the dwf6 ePlot exists in your PMP file, adjust the publishcollate variable accordingly and try it again? If this does not work, you might try to repair the installation through the add/remove tool in Control Panel. Maybe you are missing something from the original installation.