PDA

View Full Version : Dimension unit display

ticad02
2008-09-30, 06:52 PM
I question came to me about dimension unit format. A user wanted to display their dimension in the following format, 7.5' for 7 feet 6 inches and 7.75' for 7 feet 9 inches and so forth. I didn't think this was possible, but perhaps someone here can inform me if it is or is not. Thank you.

dzatto
2008-10-01, 04:34 PM
I question came to me about dimension unit format. A user wanted to display their dimension in the following format, 7.5' for 7 feet 6 inches and 7.75' for 7 feet 9 inches and so forth. I didn't think this was possible, but perhaps someone here can inform me if it is or is not. Thank you.
Go to format dimensions, and modify the dim style the user wants to use. When you select modify, go to the Primary Units tab and change the units from Architectural to Decimal.

tedg
2008-10-01, 05:27 PM
Go to format dimensions, and modify the dim style the user wants to use. When you select modify, go to the Primary Units tab and change the units from Architectural to Decimal.
Is this new for 2008+?
Because I'm in ADT 2006 and if I change from Architectural to Decimal in my primary units, 2'-0" become 24.00 (24 inches).

To do what you suggest:
I would need to change the dimension measurement scale to 1/12 (.0833) and place an ' as a suffix.
Or I would need to change the drawing's units to decimal where one unit = 1 foot and place the ' suffix.

**EDIT**
The OP didn't actually say what they are starting with for drawing units or dimension units.
I guess we would need to know that huh?

If they are in Architectural units now where they get 7'-6" for a dimension, then my statement is relevant.

dzatto
2008-10-01, 08:28 PM
You are correct on both statements Ted. It's been so long since I set up my decimal template (for site plans), that I forgot to mention that units need to be set to Decimal as well. Also, I did add the ' mark as a suffix in the dim style. Good catch. :beer:

If you are going to change it on an existing drawing, you would need to scale the entire drawing by .083333333, or 1/12. In decimal, the ' mark doesn't work for inputing lenghths, so if you wanted something 7'-6", you just type 7.5. Everthing is in feet. That's why you need to scale it down by 1/12. Decimals are in feet, architectural is in inches. If you just apply a scale factor to the dimensions, then technically you wouldnt' be drawing at 1:1 in model space. It could get confusing.