PDA

View Full Version : Newbie: Good AutoCAD/VBA book title?

rmshipp
2004-09-30, 03:02 AM
I'm new to programming AutoCAD, but not new programming VB/VBA, C++. I want to use AutoCAD/VBA and Access to prove the concept of AutoCAD as a design tool at my company. It is currently being used as strictly a drafting tool; Essentially we dump lots of information in, but have not automated way to get information out...We use polylines to get the areas so rooms, write the areas on a piece of paper, input those areas into hvac load calculation software, get out cooling loads, write those numbers on paper, input those numbers into an excel spreadsheet...get the picture?

What is a good book on programming AutoCAD with VBA, and most importantly, on the AutoCAD object model itself? I'm interested in proving my concept with VBA/AutoCAD/Access and, If I turn some heads, implementing it in a true client/server architecture with SQL Server/C++.NET/ObjectArx.

Am I out of my skull? Shoud I quit my job and go back to school to become a programmer?

Rob

ntaylor
2004-09-30, 07:23 AM
http://www.apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=242

roy.70844
2004-09-30, 08:54 AM
Hi there,
You may need to buy more than one book as each seems to have something different.
I have used the following to develop similar functions to the one you describe. I used...

Autocad 2000 VBA by Joe Sutphin : brilliant tech reference
Using visual basic with Autocad by Andrew G Roe : More tutorial style
Autocad VBA programming tools & techniques by Bill Kramer & John Gibb.

Each had it's uses

Hope that helps.

Roy

rmshipp
2004-09-30, 10:23 AM
Two votes for the AutoCAD2004 VBA Programmers Reference. Looks like that's the winner.
Thanks a bunch!

Rob