PDA

View Full Version : 3dpoly tools

rpenci
2008-10-15, 01:50 PM
Our linework is generated in the field and the output file is a dxf. I insert that file into cad and linework is done, usually. There are cases when the operator messes up a code and I have to redraw the linework. In land desktop there are a set of routines to work with 3dpolys under terrain. My problem is that I cannot find any such tools in civil 3d. Drawing straight segments between points is easy, but what about curves. In ldt it is easy with those tools. I'm guessing I could create feature lines, but now I have a combination of 3d polys and a few feature lines. I just need a simple 3dpoly, but curved (to the eye). I want to keep everything consistent throughout the drawing and I don't want to have to use ldt for just those couple of lines/curves. Eventually ldt will be gone. Right now we're using the 2008 version of the software. Any help?

davidmatyas
2008-10-15, 02:06 PM
Can you draw a 2D poly using both line AND polyarc segments, convert to 3D poly and assign elevations?

rpenci
2008-10-15, 02:48 PM
I tried that and didn't get the desired result. What happens is I have to calculate the elevations of the vertexes along the curve by hand, therefore creating additional work. In ldt, it would perform this automatically. I bring in points at actual elevation so that when I create the linework, elevations snap to the point. The ldt tools even have an option for transitioning for when I have a point but not the elevation, but I know it's on the same slope. I even thought about possibly extracting the tools, but they have softdesk commands and I'm guessing that probably won't work. Any other ideas?

jpaulsen
2008-10-16, 02:58 PM
If you are using Civil 3D you will need to create feature lines. I don't foresee any problems with using both 3D polylines and feature lines to create a surface. The software will recognize both.

If it is really important to you to have all 3D polylines you can explode the feature line but it is not necessary. I think there is a way to control the number of points it will put along the curve when you explode it but I haven't found it yet.

Your only other option is to look at third party software.

You may want to ask a moderator to move this to the Civil 3D forums since it is a Civil 3D question.

rpenci
2008-10-17, 11:32 AM
This method worked great. I never explored feature lines to the fullest. Haven't really had a need for them until now. Thanks.

dwescott
2009-05-11, 06:57 PM
The command line still works....try "3dpoly" and snap to the point nodes. All the options for 3dpoly are still there, arc, line, etc.