PDA

View Full Version : Colors and materials in Architectural desktop 2005

dpopek
2004-09-30, 10:43 PM
We have just upgraded to adt 2005 from 3.3. I work mostly in 3d modeling of homes. I feel like there is a problem with the software. When I change the color of an object, the color only shows for a second then turns gray. Or it will only show when the object is highlighted and that is only on the edges. Materials won't render either. Help! All I get is gray. It's almost impossible to work with everything one color.

mjfarrell
2004-09-30, 10:53 PM
Are you in ADT when assigning the materials or in Viz Render?

Mike.Perry
2004-10-01, 09:28 AM
Hi

Please note I've *moved* this thread from the Local User Groups (http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37) Forum to this one as I feel this particular Forum is a more appropriate place for such a topic.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Moderator

dpopek
2004-10-01, 01:51 PM
Are you in ADT when assigning the materials or in Viz Render?I am in adt. That is only the secondary problem. Colors is what I really need.
so i can see the different parts I'm working on.

mjfarrell
2004-10-01, 01:53 PM
To best see the colors and materials issue the VIZRENDER command
to establish the link between your ADT model and Render.
This is where you will have more controls over materials and lighting.

dpopek
2004-10-01, 05:50 PM
I would like change the colors of wall components and see then in the view port.
The colors only show on the edges when the wall is highlighted (selected).

chris.yanchar
2004-10-02, 12:48 AM
It sounds as though you are using the Standard material, the default material for this is a grey chipboard color. ADT comes with many sample styles for walls, doors, etc that have materials pre-applied. There is also a drawing in the Styles folder where your content is installed with over 100 materials that you can apply.

chris yanchar | product designer
building solutions division | autodesk, inc.

dpopek
2004-10-04, 07:39 PM
Where is the style folder?
Even when I use the styles in adt like stud4- gwb 0.625 2 layers each side. Then override the object display, uncheck material, then change the color, or put it on a different layer it is still gray. Shouldn't I be able to make the components any color I want?

chris.yanchar
2004-10-05, 03:05 AM
Where is the style folder?
Even when I use the styles in adt like stud4- gwb 0.625 2 layers each side. Then override the object display, uncheck material, then change the color, or put it on a different layer it is still gray. Shouldn't I be able to make the components any color I want?

What you are seeing in shaded view is the wall style's render material settings.

The By Material check box in the Wall Style's display properties 'Layer/Color/Linetype' tab only controls where the layer/color/linetype properties comes from...as specified by the material or not specified by the material. The hatching and render settings still display per the material's definition. If you edit the material definition, switch to the 'Other' tab, and set the render material to "*NONE*", then you should see what you expect in a shaded view.

Alternatively, you can disable *rendering* materials globally by going to the Options dialog > System tab > click the 'Properties' button > uncheck 'Enable materials'.

Since you are moving from ADT 3.3 to ADT 2005, I suggest reading up on the Materials feature added in ADT 2004. You should find that it actually simplifies setting up the display properties for various objects...plus all the out-of-the-box content is setup this way. The non-shaded display properties are based on NCS standards.

The supplied Styles are located per where you installed your content. By default this is in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\ADT 2005\enu\Styles\ You can get here in one click by clicking the 'Content' button in any of the File Open dialogs.

chris yanchar | product design
building solutions division | autodesk, inc.

dpopek
2004-10-06, 08:04 PM
Thanks Chris that is what I was looking for. It will take me some time to get up to speed on using adt like I should but I'll get there.
Dave

chris.yanchar
2004-10-08, 02:30 AM
Thanks Chris that is what I was looking for. It will take me some time to get up to speed on using adt like I should but I'll get there.
Dave

No problem. Aside from the Help system, there are tutorials included that many have said good things about. On your CD, in the \ADT\Docs\ folder the full User's Guide is also available in PDF format. The PDF name is adt_ug_2005.pdf.

If you are on Subscription, you also have access to some very good eLearning tutorials. You can find more information at the following article: http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_walls/2004/08/index.html#a0002053792

Lastly, a very good independent book that customers rave about is called "Mastering Architectural Dekstop 2005" by Paul Aubin.

Lastly, lastly, there is much more activity in the ADT discussion groups at discussion.autodesk.com.

Chris