PDA

View Full Version : annotative polyline

rmk
2008-10-27, 04:30 PM
Is it possible to create an annotative polyline. The polyline would represent a sewer main between manholes and would change width when plotting at different scale factors. Would i have to create a block of the polyline and make it annotative? Thanks in advance.

Robert

tedg
2008-10-27, 06:41 PM
Is it possible to create an annotative polyline. The polyline would represent a sewer main between manholes and would change width when plotting at different scale factors. Would i have to create a block of the polyline and make it annotative? Thanks in advance.

Robert
Wouldn't just the LTSCALE of a line with text do this anyway?
They already accommodate the scale of the drawing and/or viewports with ltscale and psltcale (etc.)

(just curious)

rmk
2008-10-27, 07:23 PM
For plotting reasons, if we plot at say 1"=1000' in order for the sewer mains to be visible or standout, they need to be about 40-50' wide. if we plot at 1"=200' they only need to be 15-20' wide. i am looking for a solution so i don't have to globally change the width each time i have to plot at a different scale. These maps are constantly changing and being updated and get plotted at a number of different scales.

tedg
2008-10-27, 08:04 PM
For plotting reasons, if we plot at say 1"=1000' in order for the sewer mains to be visible or standout, they need to be about 40-50' wide. if we plot at 1"=200' they only need to be 15-20' wide. i am looking for a solution so i don't have to globally change the width each time i have to plot at a different scale. These maps are constantly changing and being updated and get plotted at a number of different scales.
Ohhh, I thought you were talking about a linetype with text like:
-----SM---------SM-----------SM-----------SM---------
So the text size would change via the ltscale.
But your'e talking about a polyline width aren't you?

No Idea.....:|

RobertB
2008-10-27, 08:26 PM
For plotting reasons, if we plot at say 1"=1000' in order for the sewer mains to be visible or standout, they need to be about 40-50' wide. if we plot at 1"=200' they only need to be 15-20' wide. i am looking for a solution so i don't have to globally change the width each time i have to plot at a different scale. These maps are constantly changing and being updated and get plotted at a number of different scales.Don't use wide polylines... use layer lineweights.

rmk
2008-10-27, 10:01 PM
Don't use wide polylines... use layer lineweights.

Can you explain how that works, I haven't used lineweights before. Does it change size according to the layout scale or does it plot a constant width base on the size regardless of scale.

RobertB
2008-10-27, 10:19 PM
Lineweights are assigned by the weight desired on a full-size plot. So a layer with an assigned lineweight of 1mm ought to plot 1mm thick on the paper.

Lineweights have a limited width range. You cannot assign a linewight of 10mm, for example.

jaberwok
2008-10-27, 10:44 PM
Using lineweights, you'll also want to check the "Scale lineweights" in your page setup.

jpaulsen
2008-10-28, 02:43 PM
I've only used object lineweights to make things stand out on screen, never for output.

When plotting object lineweights what does the lineweight need to be set to in the CTB file? ShouId it be set to "Use object lineweight"?

jaberwok
2008-10-28, 05:43 PM
You can set lineweight "bylayer" or by object. If set by object then, yes.

jpaulsen
2008-10-28, 08:23 PM
I've only used object lineweights to make things stand out on screen, never for output.
That statement was misleading. When I use lineweights in a drawing I typically set them in the layer dialog. I do not change the lineweight of individual objects. With that said, I checked the CTB lineweight setting and there is no ByLayer choice. So I assume it should be set to "Use object lineweight".

jaberwok
2008-10-28, 08:33 PM
That statement was misleading. When I use lineweights in a drawing I typically set them in the layer dialog. I do not change the lineweight of individual objects. With that said, I checked the CTB lineweight setting and there is no ByLayer choice. So I assume it should be set to "Use object lineweight".

doh! and I read it too quickly as I headed for the door - so, yes, Bylayer in the layer manager or by object. Use object lineweight in ctb.