PDA

View Full Version : Borrowing licenses

dgorsman
2008-10-29, 09:33 PM
I am setting the MAX_BORROW_HOURS in the options file to a week, as most users would need less than that and I want to keep some of the more inventive users from creating a "fixed" license by setting an absurdly long borrow time. However, we occaisonally have users that are in the field for several months at a time. Is there a means of setting a longer borrow limit where this is required, without having to modify the options file?

RobertB
2008-10-29, 09:51 PM
Not that I'm aware of.

You may be able to set up two different groups, with different borrow limits, and assign the correct users to each group. I say "may" because I read here at AUGI where someone else ran into issues. I'm pretty sure I did it on Autodesk apps years ago, but that was when I was still in IT.

dgorsman
2008-10-30, 06:15 PM
Thanks. The MAX_BORROW_HOURS item doesn't take a GROUP/HOST_ID type argument, so it looks like I'll be switching the options file on a case-by-case basis along with a very limited INCLUDE_BORROW item with a HOST_GROUP containing only the laptop IDs.

Ferroequine
2008-11-05, 10:57 PM
Does anyone know of a way to borrow a license without the actual machine being present to do the borrowing? I have a user that wants the ability to check out a license so that they can do some extra work at home on their PC.

dgorsman
2008-11-06, 12:24 AM
There is a Portable License Utility in the Start menu - that should be a good place to start.

Ferroequine
2008-11-06, 03:57 PM
The PLU doesn't appear to allow porting of a networked license (FlexLM) though. I'm looking for a way to borrow a license similar to the "borrow" button in the License Screen, but one that exports to some sort of file.