PDA

View Full Version : Auto Revision Tracking

Steve_Bennett
2008-11-04, 05:18 PM
What: When changing an element such as a wall location, changes should be automatically tracked within the program and displayed for the user to identify. Automatically adding deltas to identify changes and/or color changes would be part of this. Tie in to Project Navigator would be extremely beneficial also.

Why: Currently if a wall is moved dimensions will update without warning to the user and potentially cause a missed change in the project.

Feature Affinity: Project Management

stelthorst
2008-11-04, 10:32 PM
Great idea Steve.

To add my two cents to the wish.

There should be some kind of switch or command that identifies the point in the drawing process you want to call the base line. Any changes after the baseline has been established will be applied to a delta when another switch or command is executed.

This will allow the user to complete the drawings before any deltas are added and then complete all of the needed changes before deltas are added.

dkoch
2008-11-05, 02:01 AM
What: When changing an element such as a wall location, changes should be automatically tracked within the program and displayed for the user to identify. Automatically adding deltas to identify changes and/or color changes would be part of this. Tie in to Project Navigator would be extremely beneficial also.

Why: Currently if a wall is moved dimensions will update without warning to the user and potentially cause a missed change in the project.

Feature Affinity: Project Management
What, no automatic clouds?

Sounds like a nice idea, but I could see it getting out of hand pretty quickly. Do you really want revision triangles bombed in for every item that changes? In addition to Scott's suggestion for a means to identify when this feature should start, it would also be useful to have a "clear" button that would release the tracking of previous changes. The triangles should be able to stay, but if the file has to remember every change made, eventually the "memory" of the changes will make the file size unmanageably large.

Steve_Bennett
2008-11-07, 07:24 PM
What if revision tracking were kept in a seperate database file instead of the dwg?

Chuckyd67
2009-01-21, 04:13 PM
I see this as a management nightmare. Let's take a real life example where a wall is moved 5 feet and shortened, one door is deleted, all the remaining doors are relocated, all the windows are relocated. two intersecting walls are deleted and six other intersecting walls are moved. How many tags would show up for that one incident?

If the sole purpose of such tracking is to communicate, the best method is the old analog method: voice communication.

kevin.bell.72378
2009-02-13, 11:59 AM
Really the whole issue of revisions and superceding is not handled by ACA.

I think there is a big area for revisions missing in the project navigator.

I would really like the ability to supersede constructs or archive them - the only current method is to move them into a sub folder in the navigator called superseded - but this didn't work properly as when you set up a new view drawing they appear in the list to be added as a reference.

Masroor Javid
2012-11-13, 03:14 PM
In case of major alterations with many changes, the new layout displays the diffrences easily. Here we do not need to have "Track Changes" activated. But if one or two -or even a number of- elemets change slightly, and recognizing the changes becomes a rather "slippy" task, then, having the possibility of activating "Track Changes" within the DWG file for a dozen of commands, would come handy. In this manner, I would support Steve Bennett's wish!