PDA

View Full Version : Revit to Viz troubles

lmarkey73498
2004-10-05, 07:24 PM
I am importing a Revit model into Viz via AutoCAD. In Viz I have the file link manager's presets set to combine by color. In Rrevit's export layers manager I have tried to assign colors according to how i want to evenually apply materials in Viz. However, components such as tables only have the option ot assign one layer and color for the whole object. Walls and ceilings also have similar limitaions. Is there any way to manually add layers in the export manager so I can more easily control how materials are applied when I bring it into Viz?

hand471037
2004-10-05, 07:48 PM
yes, there are two ways. But neither is very efficient.

first way: you can create subcategories within the families you're using. This will in turn create more entries within the export list, and give you more control. Just like Windows have sill, jamb, etc; you could make table leg, table top, etc. But you have to do this for all the families you're using, and it's cumbersome.

second way: you can put things of various worksets, and export them out as separate files which you then reassemble together within Viz. Not so good for our table example, but great for different types of walls and such (things you can't give subcategories to).

Best Way: Revit actually contains all the data within the DWG that Accurender needs. Materials, Lights, It's all there, it's just that Viz can't see it yet. So you could either write a script in Viz or Autocad that looks at the xdata and maps everything properly to a layer named by the material & adds the lights, or you could open it up in Autocad if you have Accurender for Autocad and have access to all the materials & lights and such directly.

There are some people out there working on some scripts for Viz, i think. look for the Vray thread on this board to hear more about it. I'm starting to make one for Blender, so that it will be able to pull in Revit models w/materials & lights, and its not rocket science, so it's only a short matter of time I believe before either someone makes an add-on or Autodesk just adds it to Viz/Max.

lmarkey73498
2004-10-05, 07:55 PM
Thanks, I'll try it out and see how it goes. :)