PDA

View Full Version : Cross Section in Paper Space

designcadd
2004-10-06, 03:30 PM
A New Guy Question.

I am new to adt and paper space. I am using adt 2005.
I have drawn a single story home and what to do a cross section thought the middle of it ( from front to back ) I have made a paper space called Cross and have on it one view port for my one elevation of a cross section of my home.
In my tool palette I will use ( section mark a3t ).

My 1st question is--- Should the section line be in paper space on the floor plan view where I need it to be printed out and not in model space. I would think it would be treated like a dimension and be drawn in paper space.

The 2nd question is-- I do not want a cross section elevation in my model space but just in my paper space in the viewport that I tell to be in. So far what I have been told and learn that I have to have a cross section in model space and then do a viewport around that. I am wondering why I cannot tell my viewport to generate a view from the section line?

Some words of wisdom please!!

Thanks

mjfarrell
2004-10-06, 04:04 PM
I think the concept that is escaping you here
is that the section line should be in model space
so that it is "in touch" with the model.
If one draws that section line in paper space is
is just a line, because it can't see the model that
you want to section.

The work flow with ADT, use the Conceptual tools to
visualize the masses that make up the structure.
Then use the Design tools to add doors and windows
and define spaces within that mass.
Then use the documentation tools to create your schedules
for doors and windows and fixtures.
All of this is based on first building the model in model space,
thus the sections of this model will be created in model space
and you will need to create a viewport in your layout to see this section.

Your display representation sets will control the section line visibility
in other views that it should not appear in. It will only plot in
the views that you want it to plot in. As all lines that are visible
will plot unless you have designated that layer as No Plot in layer manager.

arcadia_x27
2004-10-06, 04:16 PM
I'd fathom a guess its Because the Section Object is linked directly to your building model and therefore is tied to Modelspace, Also having it created in Paperspace would mean its drawn at 1:1and you'd have to scale it down. I just tried generating a section and then cutting and pasting it into Paperspace and i couldn't get the section to scale down. I'm guessing this is because of the link between the Section and the building model.
Are you using the Project Browser/Navigator system? Using this methodology of drawing your house will make it easier for you to generate your Cross sections, Elevations, etc. rather than trying to do it all on one drawing.

I have some info that I did up for the Staff here at my company, Id be happy to send it to you or answer any other questions that you may have as well

designcadd
2004-10-06, 11:51 PM
That would be great. My email is designcadd@yahoo.com. I was thrown into the middle of Autocad and I have not learn the basic functions yet. So to answer your question, No I am not using Navigator system I do not know what it is for. I have bought Paul Aublin new book but I just use it to look up things that I need right now. I am hoping to start at the beginning soon. I have notice there are afew managers in Autocad such as:
Layer Manager, Project Manager, Style Manager, Display Manager, Sheet Set Manager,
Detail Component Manager, Xref Manager, Image Manager and the Project Navigator. I have learn about the display, style and layer manager so for. I have created a floor plan, Eclectical plan, Roof plan Elevations and a Site plan. ( first time ) and now I am working on the Cross Section and Fountain plan. So any help would be great.

Thanks