PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried creating water/power/gas networks...

cwall
2008-12-01, 09:18 PM
so that you could automatically have the crossing show up on your storm and sanitary profiles? I am going to try an attempt this myself on this next project and was wondering if anyone had ventured a try at this yet and or had any tips that could prove useful.

Thanks,

Craig

dmanning
2008-12-02, 01:13 PM
You'll see a lot of people talk about this. Check out the Autodesk DG. I think to use it just to show crossings could be promising but from what I've read using a pipe network for creating wyes, valves, and profiling a water/gas line is not really worth it. I remember a post on Civil3D.com that should get you started. Look at that and then let us know if you figure out a solution.

Keefe_Lee_G-and-O
2008-12-10, 04:45 PM
you could also try and use the alignment road design method and branch off of that to make your water, gas and power lines. James Wedding did an awesome job in his AU class of presenting this method. A few of my coworkers and I understand the concept and tried a few times, but in terms of labels, actual structures and creating actual pipes with deflections, I think James is a lot closer than we are.. we'll keep trying, but so far we are pleased with our advancement with it considering that we just thought about the idea about a month ago and now we are starting to clean up the styles to show it.

are you signed up on autodesk university website? there's a handout that you can download to see how James does his water pipes as well as some others that do it using a horizontal and vertical alignment and then create a corridor and surface out of it (one surface can represent the inside diameter of the pipe and another surface for outer diameter of a pipe).