PDA

View Full Version : Slow load times max2009scene

wimpandora
2008-12-15, 02:41 PM
I work in max 9, have the 2009 subscription and got opening times of scenes mostly 10x to over 100x slower loadtime. eg: file 24mb loads in about 6minutes, in max9 it loads in about 30secs. Does anyone know where the bottleneck is , what is max2009 doing? I already disabled the superb 3d iconbox in views and the net search thing. No improvement.

I would love to dump 2009 altogether but i have scenes not loadable in max9, so since there is NO WAY of resaving in max9... (thx autodesk, why??? You can do it in autocad...marketing decission i fear)

XP SP3 - 2009 SP1

wimpandora
2008-12-15, 04:21 PM
Quick update:

Due to a wrong saveas i had to reload the slow scene and in that max session it opened in about 5secs, so it was still cached in memory? I tried it with opening different (never opened so far) files and all load fast??? Aarg ??

Starting second max: 15secs
loading that scene: about 11minutes...

Switch to first max, load that scene: about 5secs (in cache??) (even while other max is still loading..3minutes now)

Steve_Bennett
2009-01-07, 09:26 PM
I'm having a hard time following exactly what is causing a slow performance and when/where it occurs. I don't have issues opening files in the size range of 15-25 megs. Have you recently defragmented your hard drive? I know this is something I usually do after new software installs. Also, if your files are stored on NAS you might consider using a sniffer to see what is happening to the traffic when opening files or try a test with a file opening from the local drive to see if the delay still happens.

wimpandora
2009-01-08, 09:21 AM
I just had the same again, its with all files, and aparently Max polls every 5secs the net to seek something while there is no reference to maps or system dirs on a network (i checked) since i heard thta max does that. What is strange is that after first very long load times (like 10MINUTES (30secs in max9)) for file A (size doesnt really matters that much) then file B (fast and C fast,) then reload that A is FAAAST? so why not the same slow lookup? Its really strange. If the first max prog has finished all that trouble, and i open a second max session, the same story repeats. Any suggestions how to find the bottleneck? (pleeease max send me a SP to solve this)
PS: drives are ok, proof: max9 loads super fast :) and they both have giggaas space, and 4gb ram on a 10000rpm disk

dellis
2009-01-08, 04:15 PM
Try and merge everything into MAX 2009 from the MAX 9 file then re-save. This is very odd because for me MAX 2009 is faster in almost every way than MAX 9...that i have found. Are you having the same problems with all files that are previous to MAX 2009?

wimpandora
2009-08-06, 02:03 AM
Archvision has a possible solution: apperently XP has network lookup issues since SP2, so it could be that certain files are being searched with long delays between every file, and since i have all rpc subscribtion, (those are over 2000files) it takes 12minutes for a scene whatever it contains. So ill check if i can bypass that problem.
It also explains why reloading the scene takes normal load time.
(note: merging parts results very soon in same problem,)