PDA

View Full Version : LandXML surface improperly located

mpeterson79
2008-12-16, 07:37 PM
I have two files, which are replica's of each other. I opened the first file, did a Save As, and created the second file.

In the second file, I deleted all existing Civil 3D surfaces & defining geometry (breaklines, contours, etc). This file was then purged completely (regapps & all), and saved.

I reopened the first file, and exported one of the surfaces to LandXML. I imported the created LandXML file into the second file, but it is not correctly located - the surface is 'shifted' to the southwest by 12 feet or so.

Both files have the same global coordinate system - what gives?

sinc
2008-12-16, 11:34 PM
This is one of those questions where your version of C3D is very important.

Most likely, you have your LandXML Settings incorrect. Right-click on the drawing name on the Settings tab, and look at your LandXML Settings. In particular, watch for incorrect settings with regard to International vs. US Survey Foot. You might also have something set wrong in your Drawing Settings.

As for the exact settings, those vary, depending on your version of C3D.

mpeterson79
2008-12-17, 05:09 PM
I'll look into that - thanks for the tip. :)

brainman1000
2008-12-22, 09:08 PM
Just out of curiosity, what was the purpose of saving the file, deleting the surface and all reference objects, and then importing the XML file?

mpeterson79
2008-12-22, 10:53 PM
Just out of curiosity, what was the purpose of saving the file, deleting the surface and all reference objects, and then importing the XML file?

The 'final' surface I exported consisted of over 100 smaller surfaces pasted into a preliminary, existing ground surface. By exporting the 'final' surface to XML, I could then delete all the smaller surfaces, thus reducing file size by a large amount.

We don't use Civil 3D the way most people do. ;)

brian.hailey933139
2008-12-23, 03:25 PM
I'm not real familiar with this functionality but it may be something to look into. Try taking a snapshot of the surface and then deleting all the pasted surfaces. I THINK that should work (if I understand snapshots correctly). Of course, do this in a copy of the file first and try every thing you can to break it after the snapshot.

brainman1000
2008-12-23, 05:05 PM
The 'final' surface I exported consisted of over 100 smaller surfaces pasted into a preliminary, existing ground surface. By exporting the 'final' surface to XML, I could then delete all the smaller surfaces, thus reducing file size by a large amount.

We don't use Civil 3D the way most people do. ;)

Instead of exporting it to XML try this:

Go into the surface properties window, definition tab. Expand the "Build" section in the "Definition Options". Change "Copy deleted dependent objects" to "yes". That will allow you to delete all of the smaller sub-surfaces without affecting the definition of the composite surface.