PDA

View Full Version : Wall thickness not showing correctly in profile

egmoreno
2009-01-07, 10:55 PM
My pipe wall thicknesses are not showing correctly, in profile, per the exaggeration factor. They should be thicker. I've turned on the display settings within the pipe styles for both profile and plan view, to show the thicknesses. But, per the parts catalog they are not showing correctly.

Does anybody know why?

civil3Dguide
2009-01-08, 02:46 AM
To see if I understand, in the part builder when you look at the parameters for pipe width(WTh) it shows it should be a certain size but in your drawing it is thinner?

For example in the image a 36" rcp is 5", but in your dwg is 3" or something visually, is this correct?

brian.hailey933139
2009-01-08, 03:23 PM
How are you measuring the thickness in your profile? Are you measureing it perpendicular to the lines? If so, you will get a thinner value. You should be measuring it vertically. If you are, then never mind, I'll have to think of something else.

egmoreno
2009-01-09, 06:58 PM
Thanks guys, the problem I guess was more in my understanding of how part builder measures versus what the measurement is in a drawing using decimal units.

Most of the pipes in my drawing are PVC. PVC has a very thin wall thickness. The thickness of a pipe is called out as .24 thickness for say an 8" PVC pipe within part builder. When represented in a profile with an exaggeration factor of 5, the pipe thickness was showing as .1, I instantly freaked out.

I thought that it should be thicker, but I was wrong. It was shown correctly. I forgot to divide .24 by 12 to get the proper decimal unit conversion. Which is 0.02, when multiplied by the vertical factor of 5 = .1; This is the correct thickness.

I jumped to an assumption before thinking basically. Look before you leap I could say to myself. Thanks though.