PDA

View Full Version : Vault Set-up tips to get the best?

gerrard.hickson
2009-01-15, 07:21 AM
We've had vault up and running for a LONG time now several years infact, but as time goes on, and we get more users and more files things are getting very slow. Now file transactions to and from are not that bad, suggesting that our hardware is up to the task, the problem is more with checking-in, checking-out and viewing folders in the Vault explorer.

The majority of our files are in a single folder, there's over 16000 files in there at the moment. Just to wait for the 'grid to populate' in the vault has taken me atleast 15mins. while on a computer of the same spec in the same office, the same task took a little under a minute. however this same computer a few hrs earlier froze when trying to open a file while logged into the vault, and took about 15sec to open the same file while NOT logged into the vault.

We're using Inventor 2008 SP3 and Vault 2007, and problems like this have been on going, and fairly sporadic for the past 6 months or so.

I've managed to isolate the problem to either the server computer, or the vault software. The computers in the office are fairly high quality, and i don't believe that local settings are causing the problems. Our network seems to be up to scratch because normal file transfer transactions from the web, network hard drives, and even vault explorer are fast enough to not be a problem. In my mind that leaves the Vault server, or Vault software to be the issue.

Incase it matters, I've only recently taken over the roll of Vault System Administrator and my previous experience with the Vault was only at user level.

My questions are:
1. Whats the best way to structure the folders for maximum performance while still retaining practicality? I've suggested that we index the main folder into sub-folders containing a few thousand files at the most.

2. How does the vault store file status (checked in, checked out, local copy out of date etc) information? On my machine it seems as though it is checking the status each time i open the explorer, while on other machines it seems as though it's cached and reading an index file or something like that.

3. How long should it take to populate the explorer window? should it populate almost instantly? or is a significant delay to be expected?

4. Are there any other tips people can suggest to improve performance from the vault?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

jlucas
2009-05-13, 11:39 PM
Hi Gerrard,

I'm not an expert either. I use Vault at the user level also. My company switched over from Adept about a year and a half ago and we still have a few issues from time to time (mainly with content center items). Our file library is about 36,000 drawings. We have all our drawings filed in subfolders of roughly 1000 drawings and corresponding models. We just add folders as we populate Vault. Weldments #1-999 in this folder, Assemblies #1-999 in this folder, castings #1-999 in a folder, and so on. This works very well for us and viewing or checking in/out isn't an issue. I don't know if this would fix your company's problem or not, but it is working well for us. HTH