PDA

View Full Version : Delivered TT fonts

zride91
2009-01-20, 06:52 PM
Does AutoCAD (any of them) include True Type Fonts with an install, or just .shx fonts?

My list of TT fonts for use in AutoCAD seems to be shorter than the list in C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\, where does AutoCAD look for TT fonts? I checked the maps in Options and none of them point to a folder wit TT fonts (at least that I saw...).

Thanks,

jaberwok
2009-01-21, 06:48 AM
Every ttf in the \Windows\Fonts folder should be available to acad and, yes, acad does install tt fonts too. Acad only notices what fonts are available when it starts so installing fonts to Windows whist acad is running will not show the new fonts till acad is restarted.

zride91
2009-01-21, 07:03 PM
Thanks!

Maybe some of the fonts in the Windows/Fonts folder that are not listed in AutoCAD are duplicates or has an equivilent .shx?

I am assuming the installed AutoCAD .ttf files are the ones on the install disk in D:\x86\Windows\Fonts\...

Thanks again

cadtag
2009-01-21, 07:56 PM
Some of the windows ttf fonts are indeed duplicates of Autodesk SHX fonts. For example, Romans.shx is installed along with romans.ttf. AutoCAD CANNOT find romans.ttf, (or any ttf font that has a matching .shx file)

This is a hardwired restriction by the autdesk developer's, but is not a limitation. The TTF is supplied so that (A) The MTEXT editor can correctly display the shx fonts as ttf, rather than a proxy ttf, and (B) although not intended, RomanS.TTF can be used in non-ACAD windows programs to get matching lettering between CAD and Windows apps.

eric.schwartz
2009-01-27, 05:25 PM
I don't want to hijack you post but I have a question along the same line. What if I want to use that romans.ttf font in acad. Can I work around the restriction of ACAD?

I need a font that looks the same as Romans but is searchable in a .pdf file. I have only found that .ttf fonts are searchable.

Any suggestions?

jaberwok
2009-01-27, 09:00 PM
Try removing or renaming romans.shx. Don't forget to restart acad.

(I'm guessing this will work)

cadtag
2009-02-13, 05:12 PM
I don't want to hijack you post but I have a question along the same line. What if I want to use that romans.ttf font in acad. Can I work around the restriction of ACAD?

I need a font that looks the same as Romans but is searchable in a .pdf file. I have only found that .ttf fonts are searchable.

Any suggestions?

Searchable shx can be done -- it depends on the pdf printer. DeskPDF seems to work with shx

sschwartz85916
2009-02-16, 08:55 PM
Every ttf in the \Windows\Fonts folder should be available to acad and, yes, acad does install tt fonts too. Acad only notices what fonts are available when it starts so installing fonts to Windows whist acad is running will not show the new fonts till acad is restarted.

This is 100% correct. You have to have TTF fonts installed (through windows) for autocad to read them. If you are running AutoCAD and then install a ttf font, you will need to close and restart AutoCAD (not the computer) for it to read them. TTF's can only go in one folder (windows/fonts) and the .shx fonts usually are read locally OTB.

I have NEVER heard of an .shx font being accidentally replaced by a .ttf font, and as far as I am concerned, this is not possible. (Edit: not even sure I read that) hehe

:beer: