PDA

View Full Version : Partial Volume Calcs

geeare
2009-01-30, 08:08 PM
Is there a way to calculate the fill volume between 2 stations on an alignment. I have exist. surface and new surface created from coridor and someone here just asked me what the volume of fill is betweeen sta X and sta. Y. I can't seem to figure it out.

Harold Pei Jr
2009-01-30, 08:40 PM
Easiest way that I can come up with is to create a border around the area you want to know the volume, then make a bounded surface volume calc.

geeare
2009-02-02, 12:58 PM
Easiest way that I can come up with is to create a border around the area you want to know the volume, then make a bounded surface volume calc.

i tried that but it wasn't accurate. i think it gave me the volume of the new surface down to the z coordinates that the border was drawn on.

chris805_1996
2009-02-03, 08:21 PM
You could create sections between the stations and then assign materials and then generate the quantities.

preddy08
2009-03-20, 06:22 PM
You could create sections between the stations and then assign materials and then generate the quantities.

Look into Bounded Volumes.

brian.hailey933139
2009-03-22, 03:47 PM
I agree with Harold and preddy. Bounded volumes are the way to go. If it isn't accurate, then your data isn't accurate (at least in my experience). It would take me about 20 seconds to do what you want. Create a volume surface between your corridor surface and your existing ground, draw a polyline around the area in question, run the bounded volumes routine, go out and play golf (or go fishing).

greg_garcia
2009-08-04, 04:01 PM
I am trying to figure out the Bounded volumes calculation for C3D and I am getting ridculous volumes, maybed I am just going about this in the wrong manner, but even the C3D help says:

Use the Bounded Volume utility to calculate the volume of an area as defined by a polyline,or polygon, or parcel.

You can quickly calculate and display the net volume, cut, and fill for a bounded area on a volume surface.

NoteFor volume surfaces, the volume of the bounded area is based on the difference elevations that were originally used to calculate the volume surface. For terrain surfaces, the volume is calculated from the 0 elevation to the elevations in the bounded area.

If this is calculated from the 0 elevation how is this going to help me, the volume seems to be calculating from 0 to my 4938 elevation instead of 4935 to 4938. Do I have to move my polyline/polygon to the bottom elevation of my ditch and then calculate?

brian.hailey933139
2009-08-08, 02:10 PM
You need to have a volume surface first. This compares your corridor surface and your existing ground surface. The bounded volumes then limits the volume calculations of that volume surface to the area within the polyline.