PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP AutoCAD in Registry

priitl22047477
2004-10-15, 09:28 AM
I have a little problem. I have installed/uninstalled hundred of programs and now i want to clear my registry from entries that is no needed anymore. I used one application that found several things to delete. But after wards AutoCAD gave me several errors, so i had to put all the things back.
The question is , is there some common thing for the AutoCAD registry keys, so that i could filter out the ones that AutoCAD uses?
I have AutoCAD 2004LT on Win XP Pro SP2.

(Sorry for my poor English)

Mike.Perry
2004-10-15, 11:20 AM
Hi

Your English is fine :)

I would personally do something like the following -

Uninstall all programs that are no longer required.

Run the Registry Cleaner Software - depending on the Software you're using to perform this task; some allow you to back-up the Registry before hand; some allow you to restore deleted "Quarantined" Registry entries; some allow to filter out Registry areas not to scan; etc.

If after performing Registry maintenance AutoCAD LT displays problems you can always perform a Repair Install (in theory this should fully restore AutoCAD LT). If a Repair Install doesn't work you can always perform a complete Uninstall / Reinstall.

Have a good one, Mike

RobertB
2004-10-16, 03:51 PM
Don't use non-Autodesk provided registry cleaners if you still have Autodesk products installed! They are notorious for killing Autodesk product installations, as most of them don't understand relative references in the registry and remove them.

If you have installed/uninstalled hundreds of programs, I'd advise a complete wipe and OS reinstall. Who knows how much baggage is still there from all those insalls?

Mike.Perry
2004-10-16, 04:07 PM
Don't use non-Autodesk provided registry cleaners if you still have Autodesk products installed! They are notorious for killing Autodesk product installations, as most of them don't understand relative references in the registry and remove them.

If you have installed/uninstalled hundreds of programs, I'd advise a complete wipe and OS reinstall. Who knows how much baggage is still there from all those insalls?
Hi

Where would one find Autodesk provided Registry Cleaners or are you referring to the following utilities -

Autodesk Registry Cleaners (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/usearch?qt=Registry+Cleaner&oq=&la=en&siteID=123112&id=2088334&nh=10&rf=0&col=dotcomus&col=usupport&qp=site%3Aautodesk.com+site%3Ausa.autodesk.com)

With the above utilities aren't they just designed to clean/repair the appropriate Autodesk product area of the registry and not to clean/repair the complete Windows Registry System?

Definitely agree with your second statement, makes a lot more sense than my initial response within this thread.

Have a good one, Mike