PDA

View Full Version : Revit Structure Profiles

darrell.badger
2009-02-11, 11:25 PM
I am getting a little frustrated.
I am attempting to build a Stair family that would fit my companies standard design.
The stock "C-Channel-Profile" would not allow me to move its location to the upper heel corner. It would alway reset itself to the centroid. I figured that this was a function of how it was placed or structure within the profile.

After determing (I think, I am getting a little twisted up here) that it was in the profile I thought I could copy the above profile and its data file over into a "C-Stringer-Profile" file set and modify the profile according to how I wanted it to behave.

Unfortunately, there is nothing in the profile but lines (not dimensioned or any othe apparant controls) and several parameters that relate to the data tables that are imported. I think. I'm so confused!!!!

So, all I can figure is that actually controlling these parameters, lines and other elements are magic stuff that Autodesk wants hidden. I'm spoiled. I can usually figure stuff out by poking around a little bit but this stuff doesn't even follow standard control processes from Inventor. Aren't they they writen by the same....never mind.

Could anyone direct me to a resource so I can figure out what and the heck they did to the profile to make it work without control dimensions connected to their parameters.

If it can tell me how to get the distance from the lower ref level to the upper ref level to calculate the tread spacing that would be bonus. I was using a structural column template to build the stair family.

I could really use an adult beverage about now...

m20roxxers
2009-02-16, 11:55 PM
Darrell

The profiles for the stringers in Revit are not changable they can only be rectangular or square. In order to add something like C-channels you need to modify a railing family to acheive this.

balazs.trojak
2009-02-17, 05:52 PM
When in the profile file, bring up the visibility overrides dialog (shortcut: VV) and enable
annotation categories. You'll see all the assigned parameters linked to dimensions.

There is an excellent visibility guide courtesty of David Duarte, goes something like this:
http://revitbeginners.blogspot.com/2007_01_01_archive.html (http://revitbeginners.blogspot.com/2007_01_01_archive.html)

1. First, check to see if it is still visible in other views.
2. Check Visibility/Graphics. Is the object category (and subcategories) ON?
3. Check Visibility/Graphics. Is the linestyle set to Override?
4. Check Visibility/Graphics. Is the detail level set to By View?
5. Check Visibility/Graphics. Are all the worksets ON?
6. Check Visibility/Graphics. Are all the filters ON?
7. Check Visibility/Graphics. If the object is in a linked file check Revit Links.
8. Check Visibility/Graphics. Check each design option.
9. Try changing phase and phase filter in View Properties (VP).
10. Try changing the detail level of the view.
11. Are all your worksets opened? (it may be hiding in a closed workset).
12. Check View Range in View Properties (VP).
13. Check for Plan Regions if in a floor plan view.
14. The object may have been moved to a new elevation.
15. Check Crop Region and Far Clip settings in View Properties (VP).
16. Set your view to wireframe. It may be hiding behind a filled region or other object.
17. Select the Linework tool (set to By Category) and see if it wasn't hidden with this tool. It would be very benefitial if one could toggle on/off the use of the linework tool in a view.
18. If the problem is with a family file open the family and check the visibility of the elements.

"If you can't find it by now it was probably deleted!"

Regards: Balazs

darrell.badger
2009-03-04, 06:07 PM
Very cool. I'm gunna go play with this now.
Thank you.

bwooten
2009-03-23, 06:41 PM
Bim and Beam had an article about custom stair profiles See link
http://bimandbeam.typepad.com/bim_beam/2007/05/custom_shape_of.html