PDA

View Full Version : List of text codes and other tricks?

tedg
2009-02-13, 02:45 PM
Hi everyone, I have a question from a co-worker I need help answering.
They wanted to know where they can get a list of text codes like %%p, %%c, %%d (etc.) and what they do. I realize it depends on the font being used if they work or not.

I couldn't find it in any AutoCAD help topic, I may have it in a text book somewhere.

Another thing, tricks like adding \X to the end of dimensions to stack text below the line, like <>\XTYP gives you:

4'-0"
<------------------------------------->
TYP

Does anyone know where to find a list of those type of codes?

Thanks

jaberwok
2009-02-13, 04:30 PM
Do you have any older acad manuals lying around? They used to list them.
%%c = diameter symbol
%%d = degrees symbol
%%p = plus/minus symbol
(those ^ are also in the mtext editor under "insert symbol")

%%u = underline
%%o = overline
(I don't think they ^ work anymore in Mtext)

%%% = % (why, I've always wondered)

tedg
2009-02-13, 04:35 PM
%%% = % (why, I've always wondered)

He, he.. me too! Seems a bit silly when "%" does the same thing!

I'll look into the manual thing, I have some text books, one for R12, R13, R2006 and an R14 manual kicking around somewhere too.

Thanks

cadtag
2009-02-13, 05:10 PM
Well, what if you actually _want_ to see %% in the drawings? At least you can put in %%%%%% and see %% in the text.

Most applications that use a character to control special codes will do the same thing, so if ## was the control character, ### would display #

jaberwok
2009-02-13, 11:58 PM
Actually, %%%% will display %% but I don't recall ever seeing any reference to a need to display %% in any of the manuals; just the statement that %%% displays %.
Weird, wonderful and, ultimately, pretty pointless.

RobertB
2009-02-27, 12:51 AM
See the User's Guide, Annotate Drawings, Notes and Labels, Use an Alternate Text Editor, Format Multiline Text in an Alternate Text Editor for formatting codes that can be used with MText-based objects.

Coolmo
2009-02-27, 03:22 PM
Just for fun I wrote a quick Lisp routine about 10 years ago that put a "%%" in front of a series of numbers (1 thru whatever you choose) and it shows what the charactor code is for certain symbols. You have to set your textsize to 1.0 for whatever font you try it on. Works good. There are some crazy characters out there in some of these fonts. Here's the Lisp code... give it a try...

(defun c:cmap ()
(setq rownum nil)
(setq textnum 1)
(setq startpnt (getpoint "\nPick start point:"))
(setq pntx (car startpnt))
(setq pnty (cadr startpnt))
(setq rownum (getint "\nGo to what number?"))
(setq rownum2 rownum)
(setq percent "%%")

(while (> rownum 0)
(progn
(setq textnumtx (rtos textnum 2 0))
(command "text" (list pntx pnty) "0" (strcat percent textnumtx))
(setq rownum (- rownum 1))
(setq textnum (+ textnum 1))
(setq pntx (+ pntx 2))
))
)