PDA

View Full Version : Successfully Sharing MEP PN Project with Revit

bradg
2009-02-13, 08:41 PM
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone out there has had success sharing 3D files from AMEP (or ACA) with other clients using Revit. We're using the PN (Constructs, Views, Sheets, etc) and it's a 7 story building.

We've sent an IFC file of all 7 floors (as well as 1 .ifc per floor), but they say they can't line it up without gridlines, and also requested just the .dwgs. So we sent them all 7 .dwgs, but then said they didn't know the elevations of the floors. Then we tried sending a View where all the Constructs had been xref'd and then bound using Bind, but then they told us that there was some error on importing/exploding. They sent to this website (
http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/effective_collaboration_using_revit_structure_and_autocad_mep.pdf
) with steps to follow for exporting, which we followed, but they still couldn't import the files properly.

Has anyone had any success sharing AMEP/ACA files with Revit users? Or, does anyone know how to include structural gridlines in an IFC file?

Thanks for any input,
-Brad

Rob_Miller
2009-05-05, 02:36 PM
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone out there has had success sharing 3D files from AMEP (or ACA) with other clients using Revit. We're using the PN (Constructs, Views, Sheets, etc) and it's a 7 story building.

We've sent an IFC file of all 7 floors (as well as 1 .ifc per floor), but they say they can't line it up without gridlines, and also requested just the .dwgs. So we sent them all 7 .dwgs, but then said they didn't know the elevations of the floors. Then we tried sending a View where all the Constructs had been xref'd and then bound using Bind, but then they told us that there was some error on importing/exploding. They sent to this website (
http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/effective_collaboration_using_revit_structure_and_autocad_mep.pdf
) with steps to follow for exporting, which we followed, but they still couldn't import the files properly.

Has anyone had any success sharing AMEP/ACA files with Revit users? Or, does anyone know how to include structural gridlines in an IFC file?

Thanks for any input,
-Brad

I know this might be a bit late but and my Revit know how is limited (this is coming from a AutoCAD MEP background) ...

When they are importing the the RVT created file into their RVT file, they need to make sure they are using the "Auto - Origin to Origin" insert option. By default it looks like Revit will always revert back to "Auto - Center to Center".

If they are using DWG files, they should be able to get them to import in correctly by opening the floor plans for each level and inserting them there - once again I believe they need to use the "Auto - Origin to Origin" insert option.

If the other company is looking for a 3D model the IFC generally seems reliable enough for the MEP information - just be aware that the files, once imported into Revit, can become extremely bloated compared to an AEC exported DWG files. We have seen a file come in at twice the size of the original Architectural RVT file once imported into Revit.

If you decide to use DWG files, switch to a layout tab and create two viewports - one plan view and the other an iso view (or you can use the Work tab if the file you are using already has it). Then export the file using the export to AutoCAD process ... this will create a dwg file that can display the 3D model in their 3D views and display the 2D line work in their floor plans. They will need to play around with the view settings to have this work but I have witnessed it done but haven't done it enough to accurately walk someone through the process.

Hope this helps you or someone else down the line ...