PDA

View Full Version : Door Profiles

jastect
2004-10-20, 06:07 PM
Okay, another problem. I am trying to create a single-leaf sliding door. I managed to edit the existing double sliding door and now have the new style, but now I realized I'd like to show the dotted 'swing' of where the door slides from. The help menu is no help, as usual. What it says to do is not clear, I don't get the menus as suggested. Anyone?

mjfarrell
2004-10-20, 06:31 PM
You will get the menus they speak off
ONLY while in the add/modify style mode,
and then through the right-click mode.
You will probably want to to be editing
the door style in the Front view.

dkoch
2004-10-20, 09:43 PM
How did you "edit" the double slider to get just one door leaf? Did you turn off the display of the Door Panel component and add a custom block to show the panel? Could you add a custom block to show the dotted swing line? Would starting with a pocket door type better suit your needs?

jastect
2004-10-21, 12:33 PM
Okay, I am probably over my head, but . . . I inserted the double slider door into my drawing, exploded it, removed one leaf and saved that profile. I can't find the add/modify style mode? I opened up the profiles and edited the double slider? That menu didn't come up in that mode. Should I approach this a different way? Where should I start this exactly? I have been finding things by accident, I find the help menu very confusing, usually.

dkoch
2004-10-22, 12:12 AM
I would strongly recommend getting some training; I am guessing that you have been given ADT and left to fend for yourself. If you can not afford classroom training, you may want to consider getting a book. There are several on the market; the one with which I am familiar is Paul Aubin's Mastering Autodesk Architectural Desktop. I have not had the opportunity to get his new book for ADT 2005, but based on the versions for 3.3 and 2004, I can recommend this as a very useful way to improve your ADT knowledge. The book is set up in a tutorial format. If you are interested, you can link directly to the book on amazon.com through Paul's website: http://www.paulaubin.com/

I am afraid I am not understanding what you want to achieve or what you have done so far. Is your door in fact a pocket door - sliding into the partition in which it is installed, or is it some sort of surface-mounted sliding door? I need to understand your intent better before I can offer any real help. If you like, you could post back and attach a small drawing file illustrating what you would like - even if it is drawing with lines, etc.

jastect
2004-10-22, 12:33 PM
Yes, David, I need training but that won't be happening anytime soon. My ADT 2005 book is written as if we have all been working in 3-d and understand all these new terms familiarly. I just want to draw a preliminary sliding door. It is presently a single door that is ceiling-mounted and slides in front of the opening.

My biggest problem with ADT has been that architecture begins with vague design notions that develop later with more detail. How am I supposed to draw right from the beginning a schematic building so that I can later just update the styles? The styles are so intricate and layered, it took me all day to figure out how to make a door and side lites show correctly for a single frame between lites and door and wall. The door and side lite still aren't showing correctly. Thanks for your help.

arcadia_x27
2004-10-22, 02:22 PM
jblock can you post(or even email me if you want to) an example of what you're trying to do or what you want for a result and what you're getting. That way we can look at the problem in detail and help you out better. I think from reading your previous posts I have an idea of what you've done and are trying to do but I'd be able to help you better if I could see it.

dkoch
2004-10-22, 03:40 PM
There are probably a number of ways to achieve what you want. For an early, schematic, "plan is all I really care about right now" approach, you might want to look at the attached file. On the left is a door using the out-of-the-box "Pocket - Single" door style. I made a copy of that style and called it "Pocket - Single - Offset Leaf". The only change I made to the style was to set the frame width to 0", so that the frame does not display and the wall will "fill in" up to the door opening. I placed the door, then selected it to highlight the grips. I selected the central square "Location" grip to make it hot, an pushed the CTRL key once to cycle to "Move within width" and offset the door so that the panel was outside of the wall. The reason the door frames are set to 0" is that they would also move with the door panel, which is not likely the result you want.

This provides a quick way to see the graphics you want in plan, provided the lack of a frame is not a big issue. Another downside is that adding a new door using this style - even from a tool created from this style - will not automatically offset the door for you. You can select a door with the offset, right click and choose Add Selected from the context menu to place a door with the same offset. On the plus side, the door panel is also offset in 3D views.

If, in later stages, you need to show a frame, you could start with the pocket door style, turn off the door panel display and then add custom blocks that are set up to represent the the offset door panel for whichever Display Representations you use.

jastect
2004-10-22, 07:36 PM
Thanks guys.
I have attached the two different styles I've been working with. You can see in elevation all my size problems. I will follow your directions and see if I can straighten them out. I still need more info. on how these sliding doors are actually supposed to work, but this is what I have so far.
I appreciate all your input.
Jill