PDA

View Full Version : Spot elevations from profiles

_Utilized
2009-03-11, 11:18 PM
I know this is posted in the surfaces thread so forgive me but I am trying to find a way to create spot elevations based on a finished profile rather than having to generate them from a finished surface or corridor. I know it seems backwards, but some clients don't want to spring for the 3-D modeling.

What I have so far is a general note label style with reference text to the profile elevation. This is pretty close, however, I can not rotate the label for some reason. Ultimately, I would like to rotate the labels to be viewed at 45-degrees to an alignment, remove the leading elevation information (like using an expression to make 2045.34 read 45.34) as well as prepare the grade difference information for the roadway section. It may be asking too much for one software, but if anyone has any thoughts or ideas on the best way to accomplish any of these "wants" I would really appreciate it.

gandocadguy
2009-03-12, 12:16 PM
Client won't pay for the model? The model should save you some time in your design.

Back to your question... If you could post a drawing so we could see your label style it would be easier to help.

_Utilized
2009-03-12, 01:10 PM
I understand what you mean about building the model. In some ways I wonder if we should simply incorporate the model every time regardless, but you know how corporate marketing is, always wanting to get a premium for "extra services."

Anyway here is a copy of an old plan that reflects the spot elevations that we used to put in our drawings with LDD and that I am attempting to duplicate with C3D.

Thanks for taking a look at it.

gandocadguy
2009-03-12, 01:14 PM
I wouldn't provide the model unless I'm paid for it but that doesn't mean you can't make it.

Anyway, I'll have a look at the labels in a bit. (prints to make right now) Are you profiling along the flow line where those lables are? Or are you already using an expression to do the math of the roadway ceterline. Something like CL evel - (roadwithh * %)=

_Utilized
2009-03-12, 01:21 PM
Typically we are profiling at CL except around the returns. So it would be direct from the profile (or a simple difference) around the curb returns, but through the tangents I would need to set something up for the section differences.

I know there is other software (MapCAD, CMI, etc.) that will do this, but frankly I hate to spend the money if C3D will do it anyway.

gandocadguy
2009-03-12, 01:40 PM
I'll have a look.

Simple fact is though if you have all these profiles and alignments it would take you about 3 minutes to knock out a corridor with surface. Then the surface labels from that and you wouldn't have to worry about expressions from the CL grade.

I'll see whatI can sort out with the labels but give the corridor a shot. Even if in the end you export to autocad for a "line work" drawing and not the model. The model file will save time.

_Utilized
2009-03-12, 02:13 PM
The more I think about this the more I think that you are right. There is no excuse not to make a corridor with the surface. If I didn't have at least the corridor surface it would be just like old times and getting grades from LDD for EVERYTHING again...Sorry for the tangent. I guess sometimes it just takes thinking things through reasonably...Thanks for your assitance in getting it through my mellon!

However, I would still be interested in finding a way to rotate a surface label or a general note label. I'm not sure if I have a setting that is not right or waht, but I can't rotate them at all. I am sure you understand my not wanting to create a style for every angle I am interested in...Anyway, if you have some helpful thoughts on that let me know.

Thanks again!

gandocadguy
2009-03-12, 02:25 PM
The corridor will be best once you get the hang of it. Once you get it to do a Curve with super elevation and set the sampling low for smooth contours you'll wonder how you made out without it.

In your label settings there is an angle option available. See the attached image. You would set this to the angle you want and make sure it's view oriented and not object.

gandocadguy
2009-03-12, 02:31 PM
Opps. missed the image.

_Utilized
2009-03-12, 02:47 PM
That will require that every street of a different angle will require a new styles to be created. Is there a way to rotate each one individually? This would especially be helpful when a roadway is curved...

gandocadguy
2009-03-12, 02:51 PM
You can click the label and manually rotate each one. You might also be able to play with the association object and get it to rotate off of that. I'd have to experiment with it. We don't label like your image so I haven't looked into it much.

_Utilized
2009-03-12, 03:17 PM
For some reason that does not work on my drawing. I can't use the "rotate" command and I can not grip rotate them either (click the grip, right-click and select rotate). Is there a setting somewhere I am missing?

lwhite.49103
2009-03-12, 05:31 PM
Create a line label the references a surface. put a line and and add the label, rotate the line and the label rotates. After you put the first one in you can copy the line and label to every location you need a label.

_Utilized
2009-03-12, 06:59 PM
Thank you for your help!

After doing some serious digging all day it seems that in general this work around line label style is about as close as I will be able to get until they add the ability to rotate a surface label. It would be helpful if there was an expression option in the general labels as well. I guess for now we can only vote for these items in the wish list and hope they fix it for the 2010 version.

gandocadguy
2009-03-12, 07:37 PM
Thank you for your help!

After doing some serious digging all day it seems that in general this work around line label style is about as close as I will be able to get until they add the ability to rotate a surface label. It would be helpful if there was an expression option in the general labels as well. I guess for now we can only vote for these items in the wish list and hope they fix it for the 2010 version.

Though I haven't seen it yet I'd doubt it's fixed in 2010. It ships next week.

brian.hailey933139
2009-03-15, 05:03 PM
I know it seems backwards, but some clients don't want to spring for the 3-D modeling.
Hmmm, I think I would charge extra if they didn't want me to create a 3d model. What would you say to them if they said, "We want you to design this site but we don't want to pay for the use of your computer or calculator." You would still use them or charge for the extra time it would take you to do it.

Hammer.John.J
2009-06-17, 04:27 PM
I have a tool for you, but you need a surface for it to work.

If you don't want that tool, then you could create a lisp routine that references the current alignment/profile/corridor and get the Z value at any x or y coordinate. This is just easier to do, I think, with a surface. The Z value will probably have to be translated from your profile somehow.....

the logic is simple, creating the lisp takes a little work but it's worth it.