PDA

View Full Version : Add Profiles for Ease of Network Installs

Zoeyanne
2009-03-18, 03:48 PM
Description: Add use of Profiles

How Used: When installing ACAD LT - be able to export and import profiles.

Feature Affinity: Any networked licensed product is usually purchased because numerous users will be using the product. It would be extremely useful to be able to set all your custom paths and options and be able to export those in a profile. New installs would be much faster to multiple machines if you were able to import a profile that would set all your custom paths and options.

Ed Jobe
2009-03-18, 04:18 PM
I've complained about this for years. I am told that they are working on including this feature in the network setup wizard.

rkmcswain
2009-03-18, 05:16 PM
But you could push these settings to the registry, right?
That is how we do it with DWG Trueview

LunaTick
2009-03-18, 10:52 PM
IMO, doing this with the registry is adding a level of complexity that isn't necessary.

Furthermore, it also adds to potential problems in fixing problems. In that you have to uninstall and clean out registry to correct a corruption that occurs.

The program needs to know where to look, but why does this have to be engrained into the registry is beyond me.

LunaTick
2009-03-18, 11:00 PM
I had found a thread on here that talked about utilizing Profiles for purpose of pathing out local install of acad to network stored resouces (without deployment image, etc.)
OF course I didn't save it, forgot how a stumbled upon it and now wish that I had access to it.

Any help in identifying that would be much appreciated.

It suggested a different approach that appeared much more KISS than what Adsk typically advances.

rkmcswain
2009-03-19, 11:55 AM
IMO, doing this with the registry is adding a level of complexity that isn't necessary.

Furthermore, it also adds to potential problems in fixing problems. In that you have to uninstall and clean out registry to correct a corruption that occurs.

The program needs to know where to look, but why does this have to be engrained into the registry is beyond me.

1. Actually, if you can't export and import profiles, than it is necessary I suppose. It's not that complex, you just create a .REG file and import it as needed.

2. I don't understand your second point. Where is the corruption coming from? What is it that you have to "uninstall and clean out"?

3. Profile information is stored in the registry, as are many program settings.