PDA

View Full Version : Network rendering?

aliya14
2004-10-25, 08:09 AM
hello,
I am rendering an image using network rendering,i wanted to know that is it possible to split the image in 2 parts so that i can carrry out the rendering on 2 different machines ,using the network rendering option.
Regards,
Aliya

mjfarrell
2004-10-25, 12:36 PM
For a single frame no.
For an active time segment (animation)
with multiple frames yes.

Ferroequine
2004-10-28, 08:16 PM
I would like to try and setup network rendering for some of our large animations. Does each machine have to have a current version of Viz on it? I'm using V.2005.
TIA!

mjfarrell
2004-10-29, 12:53 AM
Yes, each machine in the render farm should have
the same version installed. (they do not need to be activated)

Ferroequine
2004-11-01, 06:25 PM
OK, I've got a little render farm set up up now (4 computers, not including mine). However, the backburn manager (running on my computer) is only submitting to one of the servers. The other ones just sit there, being idle. In the monitor, I can see the other servers sitting there also. Right-clicking on the idle servers, and assigning them to the current job doesn't appear to do anything. The interesting thing is that when I shut down the server that the manager is currently using, the manager will then switch to a different server and keep going (just using one server again). From what I can tell, I've done everything "by the book", so to speak.

I'm using XPpro on all machines. Any help would be much appreciated!

mjfarrell
2004-11-01, 06:39 PM
Take a peak at this document....it should prove usefull
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=2894662&linkID=982821

and this one should help you verify your by the book installation

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=2891829&linkID=982821

Ferroequine
2004-11-01, 07:43 PM
Take a peak at this document....it should prove usefull
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=2894662&linkID=982821

and this one should help you verify your by the book installation

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=2891829&linkID=982821
Thanks Michael,

I had a look, but I don't think it applies it my situation. I'm not using my own machine as a rendering server -- rather, I appear to be able to connect and render to a "remote" server. The problem I am running into is that it will only connect to one at a time, leaving the others idle.

I'm running on Viz 2005, and they are all setup the same, using the factory defaults.

- Vince

mjfarrell
2004-11-02, 06:18 PM
To use the Network Job Assignment dialog:

The Network Job Assignment dialog is accessible when you turn on the Net Render toggle. The Net Render toggle can be accessed from three different dialogs used for rendering.

Rendering menu > Render > Render Scene dialog > Render Output group

Rendering menu > Render To Texture > Render Scene dialog > Render Settings group

In the Render Scene dialog > Render Output group, click the ellipsis button and then specify an output file name and path using Universal Naming Convention (UNC). The easiest way to specify a UNC path is to start with Save In > My Network Places.

Turn on Net Render.

Click the Render button.

The Network Job Assignment dialog appears.

In the Network Job Assignment dialog, specify a job name.

By default, this is the file name of the current scene. Click the plus (+) button next to the Job Name field to increment the job name. Unlike the plus button in the file dialogs, this button does not automatically launch the job.

Note: The software does not let you submit multiple jobs with the same name.

Determine whether to find the Manager automatically or manually. By default, the software searches automatically for the Manager using a network mask that you specify in the dialog. Alternatively, turn on Manual Search and enter the name or IP address of the computer running the Manager program.

Click Connect to continue.

You see a listing of all servers available for network rendering. Each server is marked with a colored icon to denote its current status:

Green—Running and not rendering any jobs.

Yellow—Rendering another job. You can assign jobs to busy servers, and the jobs will be rendered in the order received.

Red—Failed. Try rebooting the server or see Troubleshooting for more information on failed servers.

Gray—Absent. Verify that the Server is currently running and that it has not been "Disallowed" in the Week Schedule dialog.

If a rendering Server is running on a workstation that also has an interactive session of the software, you can still select that machine for rendering. A second copy of the software is launched to execute the network render.

You can view statistics of a particular Server by right-clicking its name and choosing Properties.

By default, if your job is to render multiple frames, Use All Servers is on, which means all servers will participate in the rendering job. If you turn off Use All Servers, you can choose individual servers for rendering.

Click Submit to send the job to the rendering queue.

Interface

Job Name—Provides a field for you to name the job (mandatory). The + button beside the field adds incremental numbering (Job01, Job02, and so on).

Note: The software does not let you submit multiple jobs with the same name.

Description—Enter an optional description of the job.

Enter Subnet Mask/Enter Manager Name or IP Address group
Enter Manager Name or IP Address—When Automatic Search is turned off, enter the name of the network Manager machine or its IP address.

Enter Subnet Mask—When Automatic Search is on, enter a subnet mask for automatic search. For information on using subnet masks, see To configure TCP/IP with fixed IP addresses.

Connect/Disconnect—Connects to the network Manager. The software preserves the connection as a global setting so that you need to change it only when you want to specify an alternative Manager. If connected to the network manager, click Disconnect to disconnect from the current manager so you can choose a different manager.

Automatic Search—Determines whether the software connects to a specific manager or searches for one using a subnet mask when you click Connect. When off, the software attempts to connect to the manager you specify in this group. When on, it searches the network for a manager using the specified subnet mask.

Refresh—Updates the Server and Job lists.

By default, all servers are used for the job. When the Options group > Use All Servers check box is turned off, you can choose one or more servers to render the job. If rendering to a multiple-frame file format, including AVI, FLC, FLI, CEL, or MOV file, you can choose only one server.

There is a process whereing one renders all of the individual frames
for a movie, and then reassembles them t create the finished animation
is that what you are attempting?

Ferroequine
2004-11-02, 07:31 PM
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your post! Forgive me for not explaining better. Yes, I am rendering multiple frames (a few thousand usually, sometimes more) into a movie format (in this case, an AVI).

I have gone through the entire process, and successfully "netrendered". Problem is, only one server on my rendering farm did all the work. Please see the attached screen shot of the Backburner Monitor. You'll see that the other servers are just "sitting around", doing nothing. If I shut the working server down, Backburner will switch to one of the idle servers. All the servers are assigned to the job.

In your write-up, I read two things:

By default, if your job is to render multiple frames, Use All Servers is on, which means all servers will participate in the rendering job. If you turn off Use All Servers, you can choose individual servers for rendering.
By default, all servers are used for the job. When the Options group > Use All Servers check box is turned off, you can choose one or more servers to render the job. If rendering to a multiple-frame file format, including AVI, FLC, FLI, CEL, or MOV file, you can choose only one server. The first quote says "Yes", all servers will participate. (Which is what I am trying to do). But then I interpret the second quote as saying "No", only a single server can create the movie. Does this mean I have to choose a different file format (ie MPEG) in order to get all the servers to participate? (BTW, my Viz 2005 online help file makes no mention of this...)

Thanks for all your time thus far, it is very much appreciated!

- Vince

mjfarrell
2004-11-02, 07:53 PM
That information is direct from Viz help file.

Here is the documents your really need.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=2862468&linkID=982821

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=2883316&linkID=982821

Ferroequine
2004-11-02, 08:53 PM
Thanks, Michael. Everything is cleared up now, and I was able to render to TGA files with all available servers, and then turn it into an animation.

Thanks for all your help!

- Vince

mjfarrell
2004-11-02, 09:13 PM
The good news here is really for aliya14, if they are
still listening in. I did see in 2005 that one CAN
render a single frame on the network as well.
I did not grab the documents from help file, however
it's in there.

I feel bad for misdirecting you.