PDA

View Full Version : Contours

spaynter08
2009-03-26, 07:23 PM
I am using Civil 3D - 2009 and I have an Existing Surface with contours at 2' and 10' intervals. I need to create just one contour line with the elevation of 5530.3'. I see there is a User Contour under the display of the surface style. But how would I create one? Thanks

chris805_1996
2009-03-26, 08:06 PM
From the surface properties, analysis tab. Make it so there is one and press the down button and it should put one user contour in the box below. Change the elevation to what you want.

spaynter08
2009-03-26, 08:40 PM
By doing that under the surface properties. That just makes a Contour tables that tell the information about a specific elevation. I would like a contour on the surface so I can show a transition contour.

sinc
2009-03-26, 10:38 PM
Make sure that the visibility for your User Contours is turned on, on the Display tab in the Surface Style.

The problem that we usually run into is that this creates a contour at that elevation through the entire site, and we usually only want it in one place (such as the HWL around a pond). So what we usually do next is use Surfaces -> Utilities -> Extract objects from surface option to extract the User Contours from the Surface as polylines. Then we delete all the polylines we don't want, and turn the User Contours back off in the Surface Style. Net result is we get just our HWL.

spaynter08
2009-03-26, 11:10 PM
Sinc, What you are talking about sounds exactly like what I need. I do want the contour to show all the way through the site. So I went to the surface style and check to see if the user contour was on and it was, under my EG style that I have. I am create this user contour on my EG surface, But how do you create that user contour. Do you create it like Chris805_1996 was talking about ?

sinc
2009-03-27, 02:13 AM
Yes. It's a two part thing - you have to create one or more User Contours in the Surface Properties, and you also have to make sure that the User Contours are turned on in the Surface Style.