PDA

View Full Version : Shingle Style Home

rdaynard
2009-03-27, 05:34 PM
Attached is a rendering of a Shingle Style home that I am in the process of designing. I'm still adjusting some materials and making other small improvements but I thought I'd share it anyway. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

david_peterson
2009-03-27, 06:07 PM
That's a great looking model.
Only question, why am I seeing light castings against a wall in the garage on the left. Looks like you have an open door on the interior maybe.
Outside of that, you could maybe up the bump on the stone a touch to make it stand out just a little more. I love the oval windows and the detail around them.
On the Double hungs you should think about closing some of them. Or do you just have mullions on the upper sash. I don't remember seeing windows like that.
Just some thoughts.
Great work.

rdaynard
2009-03-27, 07:01 PM
That's a great looking model.
Only question, why am I seeing light castings against a wall in the garage on the left. Looks like you have an open door on the interior maybe.
Outside of that, you could maybe up the bump on the stone a touch to make it stand out just a little more. I love the oval windows and the detail around them.
On the Double hungs you should think about closing some of them. Or do you just have mullions on the upper sash. I don't remember seeing windows like that.
Just some thoughts.
Great work.
Thanks for the input! All of the things you mentioned are on my to-do list. The light you're seeing is being cast through the window because I forgot to put the ceiling/floor in the model in that location. As far as the windows go, they would only have muntins on the upper sash.

dkoch
2009-03-29, 12:45 AM
FWIW: Not that I live in a house that looks like that, but the windows in my house only have divided lights in the upper sash (six lights in the top, one in bottom). Or, more accurately, I should say only had divided lights in the upper sash, as we replaced all of the original, single-glazed windows with insulated glass windows. We kept the look, and have fake divided lights only in the upper sash.

david_peterson
2009-03-30, 01:37 PM
Cool. I used to work for a Building Material Center here where I did house estimates. I've never seen that style of a window. That's the main reason I asked.
Thanks for the heads up David.

H-Angus
2009-03-30, 02:28 PM
Cool. I used to work for a Building Material Center here where I did house estimates. I've never seen that style of a window. That's the main reason I asked.
Thanks for the heads up David.

That window style is quite common over here in the UK. Historically the windows would have been all bar (Georgian) in upper and lower sashes. The lower sash was more susceptible to deterioration/rotting and needing to be repaired/replaced, it was cheaper to replace the all bar lower sash with a sash without the glazing bars.

Although FWIW in the render above the number and proportion of the glazing bars doesn't look quite right to me, I'd expect the sizes to be more akin to those shown on the double doors.