PDA

View Full Version : Degree Symbols in Fields

joshua.jones
2009-03-30, 08:45 PM
Is there any way to replace the "d" with a %%D (degree symbol) in a field? Here is an example:

http://www.lazydrafter.com/autocad-tips/create-a-bearing-label-block-in-degrees-minutes-seconds/

indydrafter
2009-03-31, 02:34 AM
Just out of curiosity, what would be the purpose or reason for changing out the "d"?

icbinr
2009-03-31, 01:18 PM
Because he wants it to read S45°00'00"W rather than S45d00'00"W.

indydrafter
2009-04-28, 02:51 PM
Wow, it really is the simple things that go over the head sometimes. So obvious...

dzatto
2009-04-29, 01:39 PM
Instead of doing a block, search for a lisp routine that automatically labels lines. I use one, but it has an issue. Instead of foot mark after the length, it shows an inch mark. I didn't write the lisp, so I don't know how to fix it. It works well, though.

Here it is if you want it. You can put it with your other lisp routines to load automatically, or type appload and load it that way. Type LL, then L for line, then select your line. It does the rest.

If you can fix it, repost it for me! :lol:

icbinr
2009-04-29, 04:01 PM
That would defeat the purpose of using Fields. If the line changes you would have to re-label the line.

It's also not possible to do what the OP wants to do.

You can modify the 'TextString Property Value to replace the "d" with an "°" but it converts it from a Field to MText.

I've never understood why Autodesk chose to be inconsistent with their Surveyor's Units and more importantly why they don't give us an option to format it other than removing the spaces.

They should have done it either N 90d00m00s W or N 90°00'00" W but why the "d" got tossed in there with the ' and the " is beyond me.

dzatto
2009-04-29, 07:04 PM
That would defeat the purpose of using Fields. If the line changes you would have to re-label the line.

It's also not possible to do what the OP wants to do.

You can modify the 'TextString Property Value to replace the "d" with an "°" but it converts it from a Field to MText.

I've never understood why Autodesk chose to be inconsistent with their Surveyor's Units and more importantly why they don't give us an option to format it other than removing the spaces.

They should have done it either N 90d00m00s W or N 90°00'00" W but why the "d" got tossed in there with the ' and the " is beyond me.
True, but you still need to update the field if it changes, and if the angle changes, you would have to realign the field anyway. Seems like it's the same either way to me. :?

icbinr
2009-04-29, 07:44 PM
The Alignment Parameter makes it easy enough to realign the block and the field will update on the next regen or save.

Personally, other than it shows a creative way to use Field's and DB's, I don't think it's that handy of a tip.

And it's totally useless if your company wants angles called out with the ° instead of a "d".

It could be handy used as a visual reference only, on a non-plotted layer, to make sure your plotted text has the correct bearing.

dzatto
2009-04-29, 09:16 PM
The Alignment Parameter makes it easy enough to realign the block and the field will update on the next regen or save.

Personally, other than it shows a creative way to use Field's and DB's, I don't think it's that handy of a tip.

And it's totally useless if your company wants angles called out with the ° instead of a "d".

It could be handy used as a visual reference only, on a non-plotted layer, to make sure your plotted text has the correct bearing.
True. So my lisp is a good solution!! :lol:

icbinr
2009-04-29, 10:02 PM
Yeah... If you can figure out how to get rid of the " on the length. =+)

I'll give you a hint... check your DIMPOST setting. That's what it appears to be using.

Or you can use the config and put whatever symbol you want when it prompts for the POSTFIX.

Would be really nice if it had been written to let you choose which side of the line you wanted the annotation on.

dzatto
2009-04-30, 02:47 PM
Yeah... If you can figure out how to get rid of the " on the length. =+)

I'll give you a hint... check your DIMPOST setting. That's what it appears to be using.

Or you can use the config and put whatever symbol you want when it prompts for the POSTFIX.

Would be really nice if it had been written to let you choose which side of the line you wanted the annotation on.
I agree with that. I always like it on the outside of the boundary, but this lisps puts it on top of the line always. Sometimes it needs to be on the bottom!

There's also no curve data. I don't know how to write lisps, but if you wanna fix and improve it I won't stop ya! :beer:

michael105936
2009-04-30, 03:06 PM
Is there any way to replace the "d" with a %%D (degree symbol) in a field? Here is an example:

http://www.lazydrafter.com/autocad-tips/create-a-bearing-label-block-in-degrees-minutes-seconds/

An idea for a way that you can enter the %%d as a field.
Add a field to your drawing properties called for example degree and then type %%d in the data field.
Theoretically when you want that symbol then just add the degree field in your text.

I am not sure if this is exactly what you were wanting but it should work.

icbinr
2009-04-30, 04:16 PM
There's also no curve data. I don't know how to write lisps, but if you wanna fix and improve it I won't stop ya! :beer:

LOL.... Well I wrote a really nice one a few years ago because I got tired of the way Land Development Desktop labeled lines and curves. It let's you choose the side of the line. How you want the labels placed. What labels and combinations of labels you want and it does curves. It also remembers your custom settings for each drawing.

Unfortunately I wrote it for the company I work for. So I'm not at liberty to share the source code.

indydrafter
2009-07-16, 12:43 PM
An idea for a way that you can enter the %%d as a field.
Add a field to your drawing properties called for example degree and then type %%d in the data field.
Theoretically when you want that symbol then just add the degree field in your text.

I am not sure if this is exactly what you were wanting but it should work.

I don't think this is going to work for what he's looking for. When you place the Rotation Field, the Degrees/Minutes/Seconds is all one Field. Placing the %%d Custom Drawing Property Field would only be possible in front of or behind the entire DMS Field, ultimately defeating its purpose. I do like the fact,though, that your thinking about the possibilities within the Drawing Properties dialog and what can be done with Fields using it.

Sorry, Josh, but I'm not coming up with any brilliant ideas on this front. Maybe a request to Autodesk via the AUGI Wish List is in order?