PDA

View Full Version : Wind driven ventilation is it possible?

projoe45
2009-04-06, 04:08 PM
Hi everyone, I am currently doing some research to do with windcatchers. Using them to provide natural ventilation to buildings. My question is how do I use ecotect to do a wind driven ventilation analysis? Is it possible? Under Zone management> Thermal properties tab> Infiltration rate I set wind sensitivity to 1 (which makes the internal environment sensitive to the external wind conditions) does this section help?

Also I read in the help section that for natural ventilation window openings were treated as apertures in ECOTECT. How do I set the windcatcher to be seen as a passive device( i.e materials etc), or does ECOTECT take this into effect seeing as the vents are open to the external environment.
Thanks

projoe45
2009-04-08, 04:55 PM
Any little help is appreciated please...
Thanks

cctvcaac
2009-04-11, 05:04 PM
I think ecotect is not very suit for your purpose, I suggest you use CFD software like airpak.

Mike Sealander
2009-05-08, 07:18 PM
I believe eQuest and of course EnergyPlus lets you model opening and closing windows to see the effect of natural ventilation. GBS also provides feedback on availability of natural ventilation. But, I don't think you're going to find much beyond a computational fluid dynamics package to help you model in the way you described.