PDA

View Full Version : Forum Portal?

christopher.zoog51272
2003-05-07, 04:43 PM
Jeffery McGrew, in another post, hit on a point that I was considering for this site, that being: developing a "portal".
Basically, the forum index would not be the first thing you see when you arrive, but rather a page that has news, links, stats, new posts, annoucments, search, mini-tutorials, etc, etc. Really it can have anything in it we want. Would it bother anyone if I implemented somthing like this? What kind of things would you like to see in a "front" page?

thanks,
chris

Yman
2003-05-07, 04:48 PM
I kind of like it the way it is :D . I'm starting to find out I hang around here more than the other newsgroup. I especially like the emoticons 8) But it doesn't bother me any way it goes. My 1 cent worth.

Y.

Yman
2003-05-07, 04:49 PM
Also, 2 more post Z and you'll pass a hundred :lol:

Y

jbalding48677
2003-05-07, 05:01 PM
We are hoping that the new AUGI site will be just that, a portal for Revit info. We will have a say in what goes up there, just let me know what you want. I can only hope that the discussion forum is a good as this one. With a little help from the Z man and the rest of you, I think we can have it all.

christopher.zoog51272
2003-05-07, 05:20 PM
We are hoping that the new AUGI site will be just that, a portal for Revit info. We will have a say in what goes up there, just let me know what you want. I can only hope that the discussion forum is a good as this one. With a little help from the Z man and the rest of you, I think we can have it all.

Good point Jim, i'd like to try out a few things here, to see how users respond, so we can get an idea of what AUGI :arrow: RUGI revit portal should have. When the shift happens, we want to get it right! Kind of like a marketing study :wink:

PeterJ
2003-05-07, 05:32 PM
A portal arrangement is fine if the stuff you can get at doesn't get in the way of the things you really want.

I guess all I need are a forum and file exchange area. The rest of it (weather in antartica, lacrosse results from caracas, real estate in ulan bator and what have you) I usually find I can do without, but it very quickly takes up a whole lot of space.

P

Scott D Davis
2003-05-07, 05:35 PM
I like the idea of a 'front page'.

It could have an area for Links, and news. Maybe a short description about the Forum and a link to sign up. The front page could contain a Login button that would prompt for user name/pw and take you into the forums.

Set it up, and then we can provide feedback. If no one likes it, axe it!

christopher.zoog51272
2003-05-07, 05:39 PM
A portal arrangement is fine if the stuff you can get at doesn't get in the way of the things you really want.

I guess all I need are a forum and file exchange area. The rest of it (weather in antartica, lacrosse results from caracas, real estate in ulan bator and what have you) I usually find I can do without, but it very quickly takes up a whole lot of space.

P

hmmm... another good point. I really up in the air, on the one hand, I'd liked to have a place to annouce news, with out making the the user drill down to a forum.

on the other, I don't want to clutter this place up with useless stuff.

maybe I'll just add a news bar, and see how that goes.

thanks guys

Steven Campbell
2003-05-07, 05:46 PM
How about something like http://phpnuke.org/. It is a web portal that uses mysql to manage the content. Tons of modules and skins....

Allen Lacy
2003-05-07, 05:51 PM
Run something up the flagpole, we'll either salute it or torch it! :twisted:

christopher.zoog51272
2003-05-07, 05:54 PM
How about something like http://phpnuke.org/. It is a web portal that uses mysql to manage the content. Tons of modules and skins....

I thought about that, but the attachment mod we are currently using is not compatible, I'd have to get a new one. phpNuke does seem to be the best, though.

I'm also thinking about ezportal http://smartor.is-root.com/

but who knows?

Z.

Steven Campbell
2003-05-07, 06:11 PM
I thought about that, but the attachment mod we are currently using is not compatible, I'd have to get a new one. phpNuke does seem to be the best, though.

I'm also thinking about ezportal http://smartor.is-root.com/

but who knows?

Z.

Nice...
I like it very clean.

Steve

gregcashen
2003-05-07, 08:23 PM
I like the idea of a 'front page'.

It could have an area for Links, and news. Maybe a short description about the Forum and a link to sign up. The front page could contain a Login button that would prompt for user name/pw and take you into the forums.

Set it up, and then we can provide feedback. If no one likes it, axe it!

I agree. I like a "Links" area, with links only to other sites applicable to Revit users (Rugi, Augi, Autodesk, Cadalyst, Cadence, etc.) I also like a "News" link, with news from sources like Tenlinks, Cadalyst, Cadence, Autodesk, etc. I would not like a portal that gave me the weather, stocks, etc.