PDA

View Full Version : DIMENTION

kofiasem
2009-04-16, 04:22 PM
Hello,
I am new to AutoCad. I am having problems properly understanding the whole scaling system. So if i wanna draw to scale, in inches, how do i go about it.
Lets say i wanna draw a box 4" x 4" showing the dimentions and all.

Thanks for your help

tedg
2009-04-16, 04:53 PM
Hello,
I am new to AutoCad. I am having problems properly understanding the whole scaling system. So if i wanna draw to scale, in inches, how do i go about it.
Lets say i wanna draw a box 4" x 4" showing the dimentions and all.

Thanks for your help
Welcome to AutoCAD, I'm not sure you'll get all the proper training you'll need from AUGI, but we're always willing to try and answer questions. My advice is to take a basic AutoCAD course from your local Adult Education system or a local college.

But to answer your question, you draw everything 1:1. If you're working in architectural units, you need to set your units to architectural: command: "units" select "architectural". Now when it comes to scaling your text and dimensions, it depends what you're output plotting will be.

Draw your box actually 4"x4".
Let's say you plan on plotting your drawing with a scale of 1" = 1'0".
Most people create a seperate dimension style per scale factor, so in this case you would create a dimension style called something like "DIM-1" (for 1 inch). The command is "DDIM", Select "Architectural" for your Unit Format. The Primary Units "measurement scale" will remain 1, but under the "Fit "tab you'll set your "Use overall scale of" to 12, this will set the text and arrow sizes properly for plottiing. Then dimension your box using the dimension commands or tools or however you do it.

And theres A LOT more to know about text styles and dimension variables too.

I hope this sets you in the right direction.

jaberwok
2009-04-16, 07:36 PM
Welcome to AutoCAD, I'm not sure you'll get all the proper training you'll need from AUGI, but we're always willing to try and answer questions. My advice is to take a basic AutoCAD course from your local Adult Education system or a local college.

But to answer your question, you draw everything 1:1. If you're working in architectural units, you need to set your units to architectural: command: "units" select "architectural". Now when it comes to scaling your text and dimensions, it depends what you're output plotting will be.

Draw your box actually 4"x4".

One drawing unit equals the units setting so you will be drawing a box that is 4x4 and autocad will interpret that as inches.

Let's say you plan on plotting your drawing with a scale of 1" = 1'0".
Most people create a seperate dimension style per scale factor, so in this case you would create a dimension style called something like "DIM-1" (for 1 inch). The command is "DDIM", Select "Architectural" for your Unit Format. The Primary Units "measurement scale" will remain 1, but under the "Fit "tab you'll set your "Use overall scale of" to 12, this will set the text and arrow sizes properly for plottiing. Then dimension your box using the dimension commands or tools or however you do it.

And theres A LOT more to know about text styles and dimension variables too.

I hope this sets you in the right direction.

Ted's right but he's telling you how to run before you can walk.
There are tutorials all over the internet, not forgetting our own ATP courses. (http://www.augi.com/education/default.asp) Read a bit, play a bit then ask more questions.

tedg
2009-04-16, 07:55 PM
But to answer your question, you draw everything 1:1. If you're working in architectural units,
1) you need to set your units to architectural: command: "units" select "architectural". Now when it comes to scaling your text and dimensions, it depends what you're output plotting will be.

2) Draw your box actually 4"x4".

One drawing unit equals the units setting so you will be drawing a box that is 4x4 and autocad will interpret that as inches.

Ted's right but he's telling you how to run before you can walk.
There are tutorials all over the internet, not forgetting our own ATP courses. (http://www.augi.com/education/default.asp) Read a bit, play a bit then ask more questions.
He, he, he... I quess what I meant was assuming he did the first part, then he could do the second part.

But your right, think of a unit in autocad like graph paper... one (decimal) unit can be an inch, a foot or a milimeter (and so on) what ever you choose. Once you've assigned your units to "architectural" = one unit is an inch. Or you could keep your drawing in decimal units and your dimension style in architectural, or fractional units (with a " suffix) and do the same thing.

You shouldn't run with scissors ever, or run with AutoCAD without proper supervision. :p

Nice tip on the ATP too!! :beer::beer:

Ed Jobe
2009-04-17, 03:17 PM
Please note: The word is spelled "dimension". With a "T", it sounds like you've got dimentia. ;)