PDA

View Full Version : LDT 2008 vs. Civil 3 LDT COMPANION 2008

mark.187588
2009-04-22, 04:49 PM
We recently purchased a basic version of LDT 2008 to run along with our Acad 2008. I soon found that this basic LDT didn't include the civil design components (profile, pipes, grading, etc.) I figured there was a civil design packet that needed to be installed, but after looking through the help files, I found that these functions are only:

"available when you install AutoCAD® Civil 3D® Land Desktop Companion 2008"

My question now is, can I return the LDT 2008 basic version and purchase the LDT Companion 2008, or do I need to keep the basic LDT 2008 in order to run the companion? I guess the real question is: is the Civil 3d LDT Companion 2008 a stand alone program or does it need to piggy back off another?

I'm completely lost and my projects are at a stand still. Any help or guidance would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Jmurphy
2009-04-22, 05:12 PM
Land Desk op Companion is available with Civil3D only you would need to cross grade the basic Land Desktop to Civil 3D, if you want the civil design tools. Call your reseller.

rkmcswain
2009-04-23, 12:50 PM
We recently purchased a basic version of LDT 2008 How "recently"? Certainly, Autodesk is not allowing resellers to sell LDT 2008 any more...?

Land Desk op Companion is available with Civil3D only you would need to cross grade the basic Land Desktop to Civil 3D, if you want the civil design tools. Call your reseller.

A few more notes...
You used to be able to purchase Civil Design for LDT, but I don't think you can any longer.
As Murph mentioned, you would need to upgrade to and get on subscription for Civil 3D in order to get LDT Companion, which includes Civil Design. However, keep in mind that Civil 3D itself comes with profiles, pipes, grading, etc., but it's a totally separate and different application than LDT+Civil Design.

jpaulsen
2009-04-23, 03:34 PM
Did you buy LDT from an Autodesk reseller? Your reseller should be able to answer all these questions for you. I am hoping you did buy it from a reseller because If I'm not mistaken you cannot buy a legitimate (upgradeable) license from a private party.

It was my understanding that LDT and LDT companion were the same thing. The Getting Started Guide for LDT 2009 includes profiles, pipes and grading (see http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=8399785). As far as I know LDT did not change from 2008 to 2009.

Did you try my suggestion (from your other post) of changing your workspace to Civil Design? What workspaces are available to you in your copy of LDT?

*Edit*
Sorry, I forgot to answer your question.

LDT companion is a standalone program but you cannot purchase it. It is provided free when you purchase Civil 3D.