Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sloped beam system

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default sloped beam system

Hi All,

I dont use Revit Structure but just Revit Architecture and I need to model a sloped woden roof with a beam system underneath!
    I have rafters and perpendicular joists based on a sloped plane. What is the best way to model this? Any tutorial AU papers where can I learn from?

Thanks,

Giulio
    Attached Images Attached Images

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: sloped beam system

First, make sure that the two types of structural members are loaded in the project, let's say, type A for the main members, and type B for the secondary ones. Do the roof. Then, use Home > Work plane > Set, and specify the bottom face of one side of the roof as the new work plane. Then use Beam system; use the edges of that side of the roof as your sketch. Specify the direction for the type A members in relation to the sketch. Specify spacing and other settings in the Beam system properties. Finish the first beam system. Move the work plane up so that it aligns with the top of the main members. Do the second Beam system with type B members in the other direction. Finally, you need to adjust the location of the roof so that it is above the secondary members.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: sloped beam system

To Alfredo,

That was a superb explanantion.

To the original post--

Where did the image come from, and how was it generated?

just curious...............

cheers

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    First, make sure that the two types of structural members are loaded in the project, let's say, type A for the main members, and type B for the secondary ones. Do the roof. Then, use Home > Work plane > Set, and specify the bottom face of one side of the roof as the new work plane. Then use Beam system; use the edges of that side of the roof as your sketch. Specify the direction for the type A members in relation to the sketch. Specify spacing and other settings in the Beam system properties. Finish the first beam system. Move the work plane up so that it aligns with the top of the main members. Do the second Beam system with type B members in the other direction. Finally, you need to adjust the location of the roof so that it is above the secondary members.
    mhh how can I move the workplane up? creating a new one? I want these wotkplanes to be constrained to the roof slop angle so If I change it the beam systems adapt accordingly..

thanks for your reply!

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cliff collins View Post
    To Alfredo,

That was a superb explanantion.

To the original post--

Where did the image come from, and how was it generated?

just curious...............

cheers
    it's been generated in sketchup

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: sloped beam system

kafka,

Ah--SU!!

For the work planes, try drwing sloping reference planes in a section or elevation,
    and in their peroperties name them " top of roof" "underside of beam" etc.
    then when selecting which workplane to sketch on or make current you can select the named reference planes.

cheers

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cliff collins View Post
    kafka,

Ah--SU!!

For the work planes, try drwing sloping reference planes in a section or elevation,
    and in their peroperties name them " top of roof" "underside of beam" etc.
    then when selecting which workplane to sketch on or make current you can select the named reference planes.

cheers

Hi there,

I tried actually...but then even if I use "select existing edge" it seems detached from the roof slope angle so if I change the slope angle in the roof then dont adjust to the new position...

what I am doing wrong?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I tried Alfredo methos and it's fine as I can keep the beam system constrained to the roof sloping, but the I cannot offset the roof level to leave room for the beams then..
    Is there a way to keep newly created planed aligned with the roof sloping angle? I couldnt do it..

please see attached file
    Attached Files Attached Files

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

The roof structure in the Revit file you posted is already following the slope of the roof. I changed the slope, and the structure adjusted accordingly.

You can use the Edit Work plane tool to change the plane of a beam system. I noticed that you didn´t use the bottom face of the roof to start, but the top.

Follow this order, from top to bottom:

Beam system with Type B (secondary members) is aligned with the bottom plane of the roof.
    Beam system A (primary members) is aligned to the bottom face of the secondary members.
    Attached Images Attached Images

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    The roof structure in the Revit file you posted is already following the slope of the roof. I changed the slope, and the structure adjusted accordingly.

You can use the Edit Work plane tool to change the plane of a beam system. I noticed that you didn´t use the bottom face of the roof to start, but the top.

Follow this order, from top to bottom:

Beam system with Type B (secondary members) is aligned with the bottom plane of the roof.
    Beam system A (primary members) is aligned to the bottom face of the secondary members.
    Hi Alfredo,

I did actually start with bottom face... why you say not?

I am getting confused now. Type B is the smaller one in your image?
    How did you offset a beam system from a reference plane it belongs to? or.. how did offset then the roof without moving the beam systems (Im assuming both systems are still attached to the roof's planes).?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast