Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revit File Size Limits

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit File Size Limits

We have a large project ~275,000 SqFt. It was started in Revit 2009 32bit by people relatively new to Revit.
    It is one
    1 - in-house new architecture model (250MB)
    1 - existing neighboring building with limited work (21MB)
    1 - In-house MEP 3D Model (78MB)
    1- In house MEP 2d/detailing Model (25MB) This is separate from the 3D because of slow performance.
    1 - Site Model (25MB)
    1 - Mockup for the contractor to construct in a parking lot (15MB)
    1 – Consulting Structural Engineer’s Model (42MB)
    (All of the file sizes are after compacting the central file.)
    The MEP and Arch file are linked to each other through detached files that are updated/replaced 2x per week. This helped performance a lot.

The whole team is on Revit 2009 x64 with 12gb of ram recently upgraded from 8gb because of not enough memory to open project warnings. They all have Core 2 duo or Quad core chips with vista business 64. We have a 100Mbit network.

At any given time there may be 10+ people in the arch model and 3 or more in the MEP model. There are a lot of error warnings in each model but we feel it may be too burdensome to clean all of these up. The users are much more experienced now that they are in the 6th month of the project so fewer errors are being generated.

Performance is slow and save to central times can be 10 minutes at times.

The 12GB seems to have got the project to open but with 2 months and a lot more 2d detailing to go I’m worried we may need to go to 16gb.

I guess my questions are.
    1. What is the performance bottleneck the CPU, RAM or Network Speed?
    2. Are there too many people working in one file?
    3. Other than the tips on AUGI about reducing file size how are people dealing with revit projects over 200,00sq. ft. / 20,000 sq. m.?
    4. The old rule of thumb was for every 50mb of file size you need 1gb of ram does that hold true when you get past 150mb? Does that include all the linked and loaded file sizes or only the open file?

Thanks

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit File Size Limits

While there is SOME correlation between size and performance, it is certainly not the only defining factor in terrible performance.

By *there are some warnings* how many do you mean? Ive seen these DRASTICALLY slow down files, while Revit sits there and ponders constraints, joined geometry thats not joined, lines off axis, etc.

FWIW, ive had 1.8m SF linked together in a bunch of Revit ARch Models, and i was just experiencing the need to have a g4 bit machine to open them.

The last set i did in collaboration totalled about 460MB, for about 480,000 SF. The 32 bit machines with 3.25G of RAM had trouble opening them, but even then it was workable... But we kept the warnings low, and keot the files in generally good shape...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by twiceroadsfool View Post

By *there are some warnings* how many do you mean? Ive seen these DRASTICALLY slow down files, while Revit sits there and ponders constraints, joined geometry thats not joined, lines off axis, etc.
    In the arch model there are about 2,000 errors. 400 of which are lines slightly off axis.

There were a lot in MEP (too many elements on the default system) but they did a good job cleaning them up. That helped MEP run better but since they always have the arch model linked in and open they are still running pretty slow.

Some posts have suggeted saving to central more frequently would this help?

Everyone gets fresh local copies every morning. That seems to help a lot.
    Last edited by swalton.161301; 2009-04-24 at 04:25 PM. Reason: fixed quote

Login to Give a bone

2000? Wow. Thats going to kill performance. If you go in there, with that quantity a lot of them HAVE to be redundant, and you can probably clean them out in a day. Ill bet you see huge gains from it...

In my limited experience, warnings about things detaching, or unjoining geometry , or room voluming / area / enclosure ones are the worst...

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by swalton.161301 View Post
    ...400 of which are lines slightly off axis...
    From exploding cad details I assume? Do that in a detail component family instead. Add text and dimensions in the project's drafting view over the detail component. The errors are "trapped" in the detail component instead. Long term you are better off with cleaned-up native Revit details.

Login to Give a bone

• Make sure users always specify which worksets to open when opening their locals.
    • Locals are created daily, right?
    • Worksets have been determined with performance in mind, right?
    • 4 pax max on one RVT, IMO.
    • Fix most warnings.
    • Eliminate & minimize CAD stuff if possible.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    From exploding cad details I assume? Do that in a detail component family instead. Add text and dimensions in the project's drafting view over the detail component. The errors are "trapped" in the detail component instead. Long term you are better off with cleaned-up native Revit details.
    Some of them may have been tracing CAD details but most were things people made as detail groups instead of detail components then they prolifereted around the model.

Quote Originally Posted by truevis View Post
    [LIST][*]Make sure users always specify which worksets to open when opening their locals.[*]Locals are created daily, right?...[*]4 pax max on one RVT, IMO....
    LIST]
    they do specify which worksets when opening.

yes fresh locals daily.

Is that 4 people per worksetted file? The Arch can have up to 16 people at busy times. There are people available and a deadline looming so for better or worse they are throwing a lot of people at it.

Login to Give a bone

Eesh... Invest the time and get it cleaned up over the weekend. Detail groups instead of detail components is sure to bog everything down a good bit. The warnings arent helping.

16 people in a 280k SF building? I hope thats an extremely complex building, because thats a lot of hands in the pot at one time.

FWIW (not much) i dont believe the "throw people at it" solution works in Revit the way it did with drafted drawings... Its too easy to turn a model in to a cluster. And since youre not drafting, youre building, you really have to be engaged and 'know' the project to be in there editing things... Or sloppy precautionary methods have to be taken. Just my two cents tho...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by swalton.161301 View Post
    ...Is that 4 people per worksetted file? The Arch can have up to 16 people at busy times. There are people available and a deadline looming so for better or worse they are throwing a lot of people at it.
    Yes, too many people in one RVT is probably your primary problem. I concur with twiceroadsfool; a small team in close communication is ideal.

Can you tell us more about your experience with having so many people working on one RVT?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by truevis View Post
    Yes, too many people in one RVT is probably your primary problem. I concur with twiceroadsfool; a small team in close communication is ideal.

Can you tell us more about your experience with having so many people working on one RVT?
    I'm in more of a BIM support role at the moment so until recently I wasn't really in the file that much. Now I'm trying to clean up as many warnings as I can. The save to central procedure takes about 3-4 minutes in total. We always navigate to a drafting view and close other windows. Save Local. Reload Latest. Save to Central then save local. The reload takes about 2-4 minutes depending on how long since your last reload. Save to central only takes about 20 seconds.

Performance isn't too bad as far as placing or modifying elements but is definatly slower than other projects with fewer people. Many people are just detailing so generally not borrowing model elements. Supprisingly there isn't that many people borrowing elements that other people end up needing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast