See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: View Clipping for Interior Elevations Ignoring CAD link

Login to Give a bone

Default View Clipping for Interior Elevations Ignoring CAD link

I linked in the cabinetry for all four walls of my space. The cabinetry is 3D in ACAD 07 format.

when I go to see the elevations of the space in Revit they show all the geometry, not just the wall I'm looking at. So if I'm looking at the south wall it's like I'm seeing the back of the cabinets for the north wall, then seeing past them to the south wall.

so the only workaround I've found is to link in each wall's cabinetry seperately.

Same with the plan view. If I include my soffits above the cabinetry in the ACAD file, they show up in the plan view, even when the clipping depth is at 4' aff.

Can I get revit's clipping planes to treat this linked file just as it does the rest of the geometry? and if not, why not?

Also, it refuses to cut the section thru the linked file.

I have not tried a partial explode, but I want to update the cabinetry later, and just simply re-update the linked file.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: View Clipping for Interior Elevations Ignoring CAD link

Quote Originally Posted by FletchMT View Post
    I linked in the cabinetry for all four walls of my space. The cabinetry is 3D in ACAD 07 format.

when I go to see the elevations of the space in Revit they show all the geometry, not just the wall I'm looking at. So if I'm looking at the south wall it's like I'm seeing the back of the cabinets for the north wall, then seeing past them to the south wall.

so the only workaround I've found is to link in each wall's cabinetry seperately.

Same with the plan view. If I include my soffits above the cabinetry in the ACAD file, they show up in the plan view, even when the clipping depth is at 4' aff.

Can I get revit's clipping planes to treat this linked file just as it does the rest of the geometry? and if not, why not?

Also, it refuses to cut the section thru the linked file.

I have not tried a partial explode, but I want to update the cabinetry later, and just simply re-update the linked file.
    DO NOT explode the AutoCAD file. This would be bad, bad, bad.

(Now I feel Better) Revit does not know what the Autocad entities are/is. Therefor you cannot "cut" through a 3D Autocad file, and get anything. Since Revit does not know anything about what is in the Autocad file, only its extents. So, when any part of the Autocad file is in the elevation view crop region, it is showing All of it. That is just the way Revit functions. You didn't build in the Revit level of intelligence into the Autocad drawing, such as material definitions that include surface and cut hatch patterns, so how can Revit "interpret" it for you to show it cut? I do feel your pain. You'll have to apply 2D drafting components over top of a masking region, that you manually place over top of the casework where it would be cut in section. I don't know of any other trick, unless someone else out there does.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Womack View Post
    ...I do feel your pain. You'll have to apply 2D drafting components over top of a masking region, that you manually place over top of the casework where it would be cut in section.
    Thank you! both, for feeling my pain, and for a workaround...
    I have been linking each and every piece of cabinetry or other component via cad linking seperately. This seems to be cutting down on the number of frustrations with view clipping.

Login to Give a bone

Create a new Generic Model family, and import the cad file into that. Then insert the Generic Model family into your project, and your cross sections etc should work properly.