Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RAC 2010 the last straw - missing elements in pdfs - gone back to 2009

Login to Give a bone

Default RAC 2010 the last straw - missing elements in pdfs - gone back to 2009

Sadly, although I actually like Revit 2010 I have had to go back to Revit 2009 after discovering that plotting to pdf randomly misses elements out of the drawings (see attached for typical example - screenshot showing Revit 2010 sheet view and then pdf output of same).

I've put up with the odd crash about once a day but this is fatal - I can't be checking every plot for missing elements - it's already caused considerable embarrassment sending drawings to other consultants with elements missing.

No idea if it also affects paper plotting - I'll check when I have time - but most output these days is to pdf.

I've tried it on a large-ish project and a tiny project and both have the same problems.
    The elements disappearing are not entirely random I notice - there is a certain repeat to the elements involved but it changes each time the sheets are plotted.

I've reported it to Autodesk.

For the record I've tested this on two separate PCs with quad cores - both running Vista 64 - both with Adobe Acrobat 9 installed -and both exhibit the same problem.
    I've tried to think of every possible reason why the particular elements should disappear but apart from being upgraded from 2009 to 2010 there is nothing unusual about the projects.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was Adobe's fault somehow but it all works perfectly in Revit 2009 so I'm going back to using that until such time as this is fixed/explained etc...

/later...
    Just tried plotting using Win2PDF instead of Acrobat 9 and the same problem occurrs
    Last edited by ws; 2009-04-26 at 11:34 AM.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: RAC 2010 the last straw - missing elements in pdfs - gone back to 2009

Sad to say, we've had images disappear from our output, images in the titleblocks, mainly. I won't be using 2010 for color output to our HP 500, for sure.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: RAC 2010 the last straw - missing elements in pdfs - gone back to 2009

We use the free CutePDF and Visage eXpert PDF and dont seem to have had any problems.

We have not done extensive testing with 2010 yet, but this is obviously a deal-breaker.

The problem is, once you upgrade to 2010 thata it, as you cant back save - there is no going back on an upgraded project.....

Have you treid exporting to DWF and then DWF to PDF as a workaround? This is not a satisfactory solution, but may save you from having to re do worrk in 2009.

Login to Give a bone

thanks Andrew, I'll give that a try.

My reseller hasn't seen this problem he says (amazing how many of us are about on a Sunday ) but he is using Acrobat 8

Ho hum, the Sunday I'd been hoping to do my 'homework' for my 3DS Max Design training course seems to be turning into Beta testing for Revit 2010.

Login to Give a bone

I tried plotting a project just an hour ago and found that I was having a similar problem: RA2010 will not print jpg's no matter what I do and no matter what printer or plotter I am using. Not only that, the jpgs are missing in print preview. This is the case with RA2009 files updated to RA2010 and with new RA2010 files. Looks like we are going to go back to RA2009 as well. This is a major loss in functionality!!
    CRF

Login to Give a bone

Just tried exporting to .dwf and dwfx from Revit 2010.

The preview is correct but the actual output file is garbled when viewed in Designreview 2010.

I've never used .dwf before so maybe I've done something stupid but... checking through the options to make sure everything is set to A1 landscape helps a little but it still all comes out looking, at best, as though the page is portrait instead of landscape - text is in the wrong place - a right mess really.

Perhaps strangely I don't have a problem with jpg's showing up in plots - although I did wonder if that was at the root of the problem and removed all jpgs and bitmaps from Sheets...
    but the same problem with missing elements persists.

Login to Give a bone

William, did you try setting the printing option to "Raster" instead of Vector?

Login to Give a bone

Yes, thanks - didn't seem to make any difference.

In fact I always print using the raster option - I've never used the vector option.

Login to Give a bone

Hmm, just had a thought - hidden line removal in printing is now multi-threaded - I would not be surprised if this is related to the default, but not shown, in the revit.ini file of
    [PerformanceOptimizations]
    ParallelPrintProcessing=ON
    because of the trouble I had with trying to enable the option for multi-thread support for wall join cleanups on quad core machines.

Unfortunately I can't try disabling the multi-threading hidden line removal because adding the lines
    [PerformanceOptimizations]
    ParallePrintProcessing=OFF

to the revit.ini file crashes every project on opening in Revit 2010 - (a known issue for quad cores apparently.)

It doesn't seem to affect dual cores as far as I have heard.
    Last edited by ws; 2009-04-26 at 09:10 PM.

Login to Give a bone

PDF printing in RAC 2010 is obviously VERY messed up and Autodesk needs to get on this ASAP and provide a fix soon. To me this is a deal breaker as well as our firm prints to PDF almost exclusively. I tried printing a small project (9 MB file) with 12 sheets last week and PDF would never get past the 1st sheet. It crashed Revit every time. I tried it on multiple computers meeting all the specs and even with other options. Ended up just using a DWF file to meet the deadline but this is unacceptable. Most people don't like viewing DWFs in my opinion.

We were hoping to move quickly to 2010 as we are just now getting trained on 09 but I will NOT recommend this until this is fixed.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast