Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Revit Model imported into SketchUP

I could stop if I wanted to Kroke's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

When you get this sorted, can you post those images in the gallery ?
    Well, it's not technically a Revit project, or is it? This was a project (might recognize it with signifficant changes) that was imported into SketchUP. Nothing altered, just took screen dumps. Yet another reason to like Revit, the transition of the geometry is really good. Anyhow here it is in it's entirety:

AUGI Addict christopher.zoog51272's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Model imported into SketchUP

awesome! looks great kroke!

I would love to buy sketch-up. Perhaps I'll sneak it into the budget next year
    Chris
    SOM | New York

Login to Give a bone

I love it! So you just took different views of the model in Revit and imported them into SketchUp and then SketchUp did the rest?

Login to Give a bone

Wow! Great looking drawings!

I went and checked out the SketchUp site. I really like the hand-drawn quality of the drawings it produces. Watching the SketchUp demo video I came up with about 30 items that would be great additions to the Revit wish list. Features like "real-time shadows" just make me drool. At the very least, shadows in orthographic views, and hand-sketch style plotting should be added to Revit.

Comparing SketchUp to Architectural Studio is like comparing X-box to Atari pong. AutoDesk ought to dump Arch Studio, buy SketchUp, and then incorporate the technology into Revit. They have already set this trend by purchasing Revit and phasing out Architectural Desktop.

While I have found Revit to be a useful design tool, in many ways it can be very inhibiting to the design process (design options for example). AutoDesk needs a good Sketch/Design tool as part of its suite of programs. If this program was built inside of Revit, that would be the ideal - total integration within one tool.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Henry D
    I love it! So you just took different views of the model in Revit and imported them into SketchUp and then SketchUp did the rest?
    Actually I just exported the Revit file in 3d view to .dwg, it imports perfectly into Sketchup. From there, you can orbit/rotate, etc. All I changed was the angle of the sun so that it wasn't too washed out by the shadows in each view. That's it.

It has a 'live section' tool like Revits too, it's really cool. And the recipient only has to have the viewer available on thier site, then you can email the file and they can see it just as you do, they can rotate it around, etc, they just can't edit it. Pretty slick indeed.

Login to Give a bone

Kroke,

Really nice work! In Revit what were you using for the tappered veneer at the botm of the exterior walls (asumming it is veneer). Did you use walls with a profile, or create a family?

All AUGI, all the time mlgatzke's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

it's really cool
    Very nice. I agree Kroke, I've been looking at SketchUp for almost a year now and can't seem to stop visions of possibilities from swarming into my head. I too am going to try and sneak it into my budget this year.

SketchUp seems to create the "perfect" tool for client presentation. I've experienced many clients who are discouraged by "clean" renderings and I seem to get more (and better) feedback from them when I show them "sketch-style" views. I've been suggesting to Revit developers that this type of view would be greatly advantagous to Revit. Oh well, deaf ears so far.[/quote]

Login to Give a bone

On the front of the house just under the balcony on the left, that's an in -place family. The rest of the veneer is a wall that Phil Read made and sent to me. One thing about walls with profiles, you can't use a wall void to cut out areas such as doorways or windows that are too low.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Kroke,
    Very impressive stuff. I have serious case of shadow envy ops: A great feel to the drawings and a definite improvement at the design stage for presentation to clients. (Are my 'old school' roots showing?)
    As a result of your post I checked out the Sketchup site. It seems Scott has created quite a buzz with his comments
    AutoDesk ought to dump Arch Studio, buy SketchUp, and then incorporate the technology into Revit
    I thought of posting a reply in defense of the Revit faithful, but didn't want to speak out of turn. I can only assume that Scott's comments were rooted in admiration for what looks like a very versatile product that has a following almost as rabid and loyal as Revit's.
    Check out the thread at
    http://sketchup.com/forum/read.php?f=4&i=9992&t=9992

Login to Give a bone

Wow! - I have made quite a few new friends over at the SketchUp forum. Some guy called me a “poor misguided fool” Ouch!

I was speaking kind of tongue in cheek when I suggested that AutoDesk ought to buy SketchUp. I had no idea my comments would ruffle so many feathers. Those SketchUp users obviously like their program just the way it is. Such an enthusiastic and rabidly loyal user base definitely makes me want to look into the program further. I plan to download the free trial version this afternoon. I’ll report my findings to the Supreme Overlord Committee at AutoDesk’s Department of World Domination.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast