Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change elevation of existing elevation labels

Login to Give a bone

Default Change elevation of existing elevation labels

I'm sure this is a noob question. I just can't figure it out.
    I have a detail with elevation labels. When I inserted the labels, I created a UCS, defined the z direction, etc. etc.

Now I need to modify the Z elevation. I can't just move the detail up because I have a row of details above it.

Other than creating a new UCS and reinserting a new elevation label, is there a way to modify the base point of the UCS for the existing labels?

*edit* I wound up just deleting the UCS, then recreating it. I'd still like to know if there is a way of modifying the existing one, though.
    Last edited by dzatto; 2009-04-30 at 04:40 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Change elevation of existing elevation labels

I Dan,
    I'm not sure if this is what you're after, but all blocks, x-refs....anything you insert has 2 actual base points. There's is the WCS 0,0,0 & the "Base Point" location. If you move your block away from 0,0 ; use the "base" command to establish a new base point for the block.
    But I'm thinking you're tying to do something totally different than that.
    Just a guess.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson View Post
    I Dan,
    I'm not sure if this is what you're after, but all blocks, x-refs....anything you insert has 2 actual base points. There's is the WCS 0,0,0 & the "Base Point" location. If you move your block away from 0,0 ; use the "base" command to establish a new base point for the block.
    But I'm thinking you're tying to do something totally different than that.
    Just a guess.
    Yeah, it's totally different (I think). ACA has OOTB elevation labels. When you insert them, you have the option of creating a new UCS.

So, I would insert it for my column detail. I would create a new UCS, call it something like W8x35. It asks for an insertion point, and the Z direction. I pick a point and the Z direction would be up (along the y axis).

Okay, so now my elevations need to read 5', and 10'. So I copy that elevation marker up 5', then 10'. The elevation readout automatically says 5'-0" and 10'-0".

If I want to move the entire detail to another row, the base point is still where I set it. So if I moved the entire detail 50' in the Y axis, then the readings would be 55'-0" and 60'-0", which is wrong. I would need to change the insertion point where I created the UCS somehow.

Login to Give a bone

Are you talking about the elevation "Generation" Tag or the elevation Marker (ie T/ steel = 100'-0") kind of thing.
    The Marker I thought were model based, so depending on what you attached them to, it should give you the correct elevation. Personally if your talking about detail sheets, I'd still go with a manual version and fill it to say see plan or see elevation or see section.
    While some would say "Hey why not put the actual elevation on the detail, it's linked to the model, you know it's correct" Here's my response "When it changes after it went out to bid, while the drawings are coordinated, now you have to issue a sketch or a revised sheet where ever that elevation shows up."
    I just got burned on this on my current project (I'm stuck with Revit right now) and I made the mistake of labeling everything cause I know it would be coordinated. Well, now I'm screwed because the archies changed their mind and I have to re-issue a bunch of sheets.
    2 more cents for ya

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson View Post
    Are you talking about the elevation "Generation" Tag or the elevation Marker (ie T/ steel = 100'-0") kind of thing.
    The Marker I thought were model based, so depending on what you attached them to, it should give you the correct elevation. Personally if your talking about detail sheets, I'd still go with a manual version and fill it to say see plan or see elevation or see section.
    While some would say "Hey why not put the actual elevation on the detail, it's linked to the model, you know it's correct" Here's my response "When it changes after it went out to bid, while the drawings are coordinated, now you have to issue a sketch or a revised sheet where ever that elevation shows up."
    I just got burned on this on my current project (I'm stuck with Revit right now) and I made the mistake of labeling everything cause I know it would be coordinated. Well, now I'm screwed because the archies changed their mind and I have to re-issue a bunch of sheets.
    2 more cents for ya
    Yeah, it's the elevation marker (top of steel sorta thing). They aren't model based, at least not the ones I use. You have the option of creating a UCS for them. It's not that big of a deal, and since I'm the only designer, putting the elevations on the steel isn't a problem. Not to mention, most of our buildings are a set height. On the rare occasion that we have a different design, the steel details would have to be designed again. Since I'm the only designer, coordination is easy!

Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Change elevation of existing elevation labels

Beginners question: When I change elevation on a wall, it disappears from the Plan view. Autodesk Architecture Desktop 2007. Why is this?
    Last edited by haldcohen; 2009-08-09 at 01:18 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Are you changing the elevation of the Wall by entering a different number in the Elevation property on the Properties palette? If so, are you moving the Wall up or down such that it is no longer cut by the cut plane? If so, do you have the Below Cut Plane component turned on (if the Wall is below the cut plane) or the Above Cut Plane component turned on (if above the cut plane)? If not, you will not see the Wall.

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Change elevation of existing elevation labels

What is the standard way to move the cut plane when placing, for instance, the first floor of the building at the height of the site elevation, for example, 50ft.

Login to Give a bone

What version are you using. In older versions, you would need to edit the Display Configuration and change the cut plane height on the Cut Plane tab. In more recent versions, you can set the cut plane height on the Drawing Window Status Bar.

Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Re: Change elevation of existing elevation labels

Thanx for help. 2007. Can see walls with 50' elevation in all but TOP view. I do not understand where Global Cut Plane is, or which display configuration will effect the TOP view. And since TOP view is so vital to design work, this is a major impediment. It works ok if I lower the site terrain to zero elevation.
    Last edited by haldcohen; 2009-08-15 at 08:37 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast